Storage Spaces causing BSODs. USB issue? Failing drive? Something else?

Skipper007

Limp Gawd
I have two 3TB 2.5 inch USB drives, one Toshiba one WD, which I have configured as a mirrored Storage Space. It is formatted with REFS, and I have integrity checking and Bitlocker enabled on the Storage Space. I use the Storage Space with two desktops, both of which use Asus M5A97 R2.0 controllers with an ASMedia USB 3.0 controller.

Unfortunately I've discovered that writing a large amount of data to the Storage Space can cause BSODs which reference Spaceport.sys, and that files recently written to the Storage Space will be corrupt. This occurs on both systems. The systems are not otherwise prone to BSODs though they do very occasionally lock up at random. Both systems did pass MemTest when I built them though that was back in 2016.

In addition, the Storage Spaces panel in control panel often says it is operating with reduced resiliency. It always says the Toshiba drive is OK, but the WD fluctuates between "OK" and warning.

My suspicion is either the WD drive is bad or it doesn't get along well with the ASMedia controller, since it's the one that sometimes has warning messages. Also, prior to using it in the Storage Space I did have one incident with the WD drive where Windows couldn't mount a volume on it. At the time I thought that might just be Windows: recovery software could mount it, and after reformatting the drive Windows could see it again and it passed every test I ran on it. But without knowing for sure I'm hesitant to replace it, as I am worried about the Storage Space becoming corrupted during the rebuild.

Any thoughts?

Back