Still have mouse issue in Vista

Gatticus

[H]ard|Gawd
I posted some time back about intermittently getting a mouse freeze in Vista on boot up. I disabled aero and started using the classic UI. I figured maybe it had something to do with aero and Nvidia drivers. All seemed fine for three weeks, no mouse freeze. Then yesterday I booted to Vista and got the mouse freeze again. Rebooted and mouse was fine and has been fine since. I discussed this with a friend and he said his sister's Vista box has had the same issue a few times. I've tried both Logitech MX518 mouse and Microsoft Explorer 3.0 mouse and it makes no difference. You guys claim Vista is not the issue. My XP install on the same PC has no such issue ever. Any ideas as to what it could be?

I'm currently using Logitech driver but it makes no dif if I use Logitech driver or Microsoft provided driver. I do use a PS2 KVM but my friend's sister does not. I say it is an issue with Vista because if you do some research on it you will see other people have had the same issue on Vista too.

I believe this can happen when using a KVM or USB-to-PS/2 converter, not sure if your friend's sister uses the latter or not. This is usually a hardware compatibility issue, as I have a Razer mouse and they are known to exhibit this behavior (on XP, too, though) due to the OS not initializing input correctly (replugging helps in my case).

I'll see if she uses an adapter too. That could be it but why is there an issue on Vista and not XP? That still points to Vista as the culprit.

And the prime suspect is still the cheap KVM. A KVM that worked transparently to the OS wouldn't have your problem. :cool:

FFS! If it works fine with XP, Win2000, Win98, and Linux then it isn't the goddamn KVM that is the issue. Wake up and smell the coffee!

Back