Steve Jobs Hates This House

HardOCP News

[H] News
How do you end up with a 17,000 square foot home that you hate? Hate so much that you want to tear it down or give it away? I don’t know either, you’d have to ask Steve Jobs, he’s the one letting the house collapse on itself.

Why? Because he hates the place. It was built by some copper mogul 84 years ago, and it's 17,000 square feet of decaying Spanish Colonial. Steve bought it in 1984 and squatted there for a decade. Since then, he's been trying to get permission to have it razed so he can build a house he likes.

What a prick. That is seriously all I can say. Sell the thing and buy a different plot to build your lame all white with apples on it house.

how can he be that rich and that stupid at the same time.

When you are rich you buy a NEW house some some 1920's house that will require none stop work to maintain. Bill Gates wins the house war as well as the OS war you suck Jobs.

He hates it because he can put a much bigger and more expensive mansion on that property. He's got the money, he's got the land, and it's an old house.... for all I'm concerned he can do what he wants with it including burning it down while drunk (Bruce Wayne).

I guess his other option to appease the environmentalists is to simply let the thing collapse and keep making insurance claims until the insurance company forbids the occupancy and recommends demolition of the home.

what a waste of space, at least rent it out or something geez!

Lol, whotf is going to rent 17k sf that likely resembles the paper st. soap company? Tbh, I don't see a problem really. Just because the place is kinda old doesn't make it historic. Wtf is so special that happened there that merits "historical preservation"? It's his property that he purchased, they should just let him tear the damn thing down and build his house. It's looks like he's just "letting it go" as a way to say F-U to the people who are trying to tell him what to do with his property (oooh the irony lol). He could always donate it to the town and see how they like paying to maintain 17k s.f. for "preservation". :rolleyes:

A problem? No, I just don't think its newsworthy, by any stretch, unless your a Steve Jobs nutswinger and want to be informed every time he takes a dump.

So don't read it!

On topic, well it's his house, so I suppose he can do anything he likes with it as long as he follows the local building code. He probably envies Bill Gates and his house. Bill's house is a beaut.

It's his house and his land so let him do what he wants. When the heck were other people allowed to tell me other people to do with there land.

If I were Steve, I grab some long sticks, some hot dogs and some gasoline and have me a weenie roast. Then pay the fines and go about his business.

People, get a grip. If I owned the place I would have leveled it already myself.

A problem? No, I just don't think its newsworthy, by any stretch, unless your a Steve Jobs nutswinger and want to be informed every time he takes a dump.

I don't have an issue with this being news but I do have an issue with more important issues not being news.

this just in Steve Jobs Pooped on a hooker.

Last time I checked, Kyle owns this forum, and is helped out by some people so... whatever those folks thinks is newsworthy as it relates to the computer industry gets posted here soo...

Perhaps some folks would do best to just keep their opinions to themselves, maybe? Just because someone may not think it's news doesn't mean they need to actually click that button to make a post that spews that opinion... keep it to yourself and shut up, I say.

Last time I checked, Kyle owns this forum, and is helped out by some people so... whatever those folks thinks is newsworthy as it relates to the computer industry gets posted here soo...

Perhaps some folks would do best to just keep their opinions to themselves, maybe? Just because someone may not think it's news doesn't mean they need to actually click that button to make a post that spews that opinion... keep it to yourself and shut up, I say.

I don't think the comments are directed at anyone at [H] but more so the state of news media in the world such as CNN reporting the status of Steve Jobs house, or even worse the status of Paris Hilton's STD's.

This news is fully news worthy in a Tech forum.

i think it is stupid that he has to have permits to tear it down.

I don't particularly care for Steve Jobs. He's an ass, however after reading that story and subsequent stories and after doing a little research he should be able to do whatever he wants with the property.

He offered to give the house to anyone who could take it off the property, I know that would cost a lot of cash, but the people contesting the destruction of the house have more than enough money to do just that. They refused.

The only option legally for SJ was to let the house fall apart, it will get condemned and will have to be torn down. Jeez just let the man OWN his property!

He would literally have to tear down the house to bring it back and up to code. Remodeling an old house is far less cost effective than building a new one once it becomes dilapidated.

The historical society should let him offer the furnishings and wood to anyone willing to remove them. Then, after a certain period of time, he should be allowed to demolish or do whatever he wants with the structure.

He would literally have to tear down the house to bring it back and up to code. Remodeling an old house is far less cost effective than building a new one once it becomes dilapidated.

The historical society should let him offer the furnishings and wood to anyone willing to remove them. Then, after a certain period of time, he should be allowed to demolish or do whatever he wants with the structure.

There should be no offering. it's really his property, he shouldn't have to answer to anyone.

It's funny because the more you become a public figure the more people expect to have some sort of say in your personal life.

You Americans are funny 1920 is consider historic? Our house is from 1890 and our summer house is from around 1780 (of course we have restored and changed a lot of it). A historic house is one from 1620 not 1920 ^^

That house looks like some kinda weird 1920+1970's nightmare. Every room has a kinda creepy style to it. I understand why he would want to build a new one but it's not like you can't rennovate it, no need to actually tear it down. Would be a great place to film a scary movie tho: Atack of the Jobs Clones!

Actually, quite the opposite.

If this were Bill Gates, Steve Ballmer, Michael Dell (anyone else that can afford to let a 17,000sq ft home fall apart) in a time when the average person is fighting to KEEP a 1700sq ft home....yeah, it's news...

...unless you are a Steve Jobs nutswinger. :D

The real issue, is why is he forced to keep an ugly house that he wants to tear down and rebuild. It is his own damned property, let him do what he wants to it.

So instead, they have to put up with a property that decays, and gets worse, and goes lower in land value, then a new house that would raise land value... and taxes?

That house looks like some kinda weird 1920+1970's nightmare. Every room has a kinda creepy style to it. I understand why he would want to build a new one but it's not like you can't rennovate it, no need to actually tear it down. Would be a great place to film a scary movie tho: Atack of the Jobs Clones!

84 year old homes are super expensive to renovate and lack some of the most common and modern utilities. Most of the times on homes that scale its much easier to scrap and rebuild.

Besides, back in those days they did not put enough outlets for your apple computers, nor did they have closets big enough for your turtle necks, and they surely did not have 240v outlets for your hybrids and 16 car + garages.

One: this once again shows that jobs is a whiny little juvenile wanker.
Two: nevertheless it's his property. The preservationists should just suck it. I'm all for preserving actual historically relevant structures, but just because a place is OLD does not mean it is historically relevant.

The real issue, is why is he forced to keep an ugly house that he wants to tear down and rebuild. It is his own damned property, let him do what he wants to it.

The other real issue, can anyone believe Steve Jobs didn't research this property buy a little better? Buying something you know the hostorical society is all over was a bad move if you want to tear it down.

I'd donate the whole damn lot and build a HUGE ass house right next door to the "historical" landmark. :D

Chances are the people concerned about the "historical" aspects of the property are just neighbors who don't want Jobs to build a new house that's bigger and better than theirs..

He's still a prick though. :p

Some people dont take the value of antiques seriously, but as an antique collector, I have seen things nearly none of you will ever see since they are so rare...in a place like that, being built as long ago as it was, there are sure to be treasures that someone would appreciate and not just let go to waist.. like that organ for example....had he not allowed rain to poor on it from a leaking roof, the value would be very great. Someone could easily buy a car...or the ppol table....its a waist. Steve Jobs might own it, but just like his im superior to you attitude, its pretty lame. People might not like Bill Gates, or what he does with money on his house or even the products he's made, But he puts more money back to were it counts then most anyone regaurdless if its a tax write off. Billions of dollors put towards Children and cancer treatment and research. Steve Jobs should use that wreck of a house and property and turn it around for some good. Sell that property and mot just hold onto it waiting for it to rot away. Help some folks in some way or another...

Chances are the people concerned about the "historical" aspects of the property are just neighbors who don't want Jobs to build a new house that's bigger and better than theirs..

He's still a prick though. :p

Heh, actually...Steve Jobs bought a house that already had a preservation society attached to it (by name= The Jackling House). He fought it all the way to the California Supreme Court and lost every step of the way. He was only able to tear down the house if that was the only option.

So, he decided to let the historical house, a historical house he bought full well knowing it was a historical building, fall apart so he can bulldoze it.

...then he'll build one bigger than the neighbors ;)

Some people dont take the value of antiques seriously, but as an antique collector, I have seen things nearly none of you will ever see since they are so rare...in a place like that, being built as long ago as it was, there are sure to be treasures that someone would appreciate and not just let go to waist.. like that organ for example....had he not allowed rain to poor on it from a leaking roof, the value would be very great. Someone could easily buy a car...or the ppol table....its a waist. Steve Jobs might own it, but just like his im superior to you attitude, its pretty lame. People might not like Bill Gates, or what he does with money on his house or even the products he's made, But he puts more money back to were it counts then most anyone regaurdless if its a tax write off. Billions of dollors put towards Children and cancer treatment and research. Steve Jobs should use that wreck of a house and property and turn it around for some good. Sell that property and mot just hold onto it waiting for it to rot away. Help some folks in some way or another...

It's HIS property and it's HIS house. He should be able to do anything he pleases with it, and anything less is retarded.

Heh, actually...Steve Jobs bought a house that already had a preservation society attached to it (by name= The Jackling House). He fought it all the way to the California Supreme Court and lost every step of the way. He was only able to tear down the house if that was the only option.

So, he decided to let the historical house, a historical house he bought full well knowing it was a historical building, fall apart so he can bulldoze it.

...then he'll build one bigger than the neighbors ;)

Given this, he's a retard. Sure it's his property. But if he went in knowing the circumstances that were already there, he should've seen this coming. Historical societies, and housing/neighborhood associations are teh suck. I'm sorry, but he's a moron.

You Americans are funny 1920 is consider historic? Our house is from 1890 and our summer house is from around 1780 (of course we have restored and changed a lot of it). A historic house is one from 1620 not 1920 ^^

Considering 1620 is before our country, and most certainly the state of california, were ever founded, what do you suggest we consider historical? Teepees? It may surprise you to know that there are no several hundred year old stone castles in America either. :rolleyes:

Given this, he's a retard. Sure it's his property. But if he went in knowing the circumstances that were already there, he should've seen this coming. Historical societies, and housing/neighborhood associations are teh suck. I'm sorry, but he's a moron.

He should have known better. The historic societies should have also known better to not sell the house to a tech tycoon.

Considering 1620 is before our country, and most certainly the state of california, were ever founded, what do you suggest we consider historical? Teepees? It may surprise you to know that there are no several hundred year old stone castles in America either. :rolleyes:

QFT. I guess in europe there is no such thing as historic cars, trains, or anything of that nature, as it did not exist back them.. only a measly 100 years.

i think it is stupid that he has to have permits to tear it down.

Heh do you any experience with civil engineering? There is always a TREMENDOUS amount of red tape in anything you do, and we're talking several months before any action is taken. Permitting is a usually state level, then federal, so it's not exactly the fastest process in the first place anyway. Plus permitting agencies are VERY snobby when it comes to doing things their way, so you gotta have a reviewer inside who is sympathetic, otherwise, they'll delay approval on Mickey Mouse bullshit.

I'll tell you a funny story. You might get a laugh out of it.

"We Americans" have houses, buildings and settlements from the 1600's too!

Hilarious, no?

It looks like every other 20th century "Spanish Colonial" mansion in California. And it obviously wasn't built to last if it can't handle 84 years without falling apart, although that's not unusual in California either. Good riddance to it, I hope he gets to tear it down. If the "preservationists" wanted it, they should have taken it when he offered to give it away. It's just some house no one will get to see anyway, not some 11th century cathedral or anything with genuine historic value.

I'd personally turn off the heat and let the plumbing burst... that would be a quick way to get the house to collapse... perhaps introduce a little bit of termite action to speed things up ;)

Dude, compared to the rest of the world America has no history. That is what makes it so great. On the other hand there are these preserconseranimalcomu.......ists who love to mess around. Sons of Orwell.

Back