Steam Deck Parts at ifixit

The fan on my Steam Deck started making a grinding noise. Did Valve say anything about us voiding our warranties if we order replacement parts from iFixit and install them ourselves?

The fan on my Steam Deck started making a grinding noise. Did Valve say anything about us voiding our warranties if we order replacement parts from iFixit and install them ourselves?
Usually opening up small tech devices results in a voided warranty but I'm unable to find clear details on it. Steam links to iFixIt parts and guides on their very own Steam Deck's support page, so it would be weird for them to recommend replacement parts but then proceeds to void your warranty for using them.

Usually opening up small tech devices results in a voided warranty but I'm unable to find clear details on it. Steam links to iFixIt parts and guides on their very own Steam Deck's support page, so it would be weird for them to recommend replacement parts but then proceeds to void your warranty for using them.
It's illegal in the US to void the warranty for opening a device. They can only refuse (and still not void) fixing problem that they can prove was caused by the work you did to it. It's got to the point that the US government has demanded manufacturers stop using "void" tape, because it tries to trick users into thinking they lost their warranty.

That said Valve has been pretty open about opening it won't void the warranty. They have a list of disclaimers including that the manufacturing techniques for the deck means that once you snap it open its creak free rigidity might be lost. Or that for 3-4 reasons (single sided, perf, power usage, heat generation) shouldn't be swapped. Realistically the ifixit stuff is for a year from now when you want to repair it on its own.

It's illegal in the US to void the warranty for opening a device. They can only refuse (and still not void) fixing problem that they can prove was caused by the work you did to it. It's got to the point that the US government has demanded manufacturers stop using "void" tape, because it tries to trick users into thinking they lost their warranty.

That said Valve has been pretty open about opening it won't void the warranty. They have a list of disclaimers including that the manufacturing techniques for the deck means that once you snap it open its creak free rigidity might be lost. Or that for 3-4 reasons (single sided, perf, power usage, heat generation) shouldn't be swapped. Realistically the ifixit stuff is for a year from now when you want to repair it on its own.
Thanks, and this is the precise reason why I never intended on opening mine up in the first place.

Having said that, I'm stuck in a lose-lose situation because my Deck has a few minor issues that warrants me opening it up, but the issues are not serious enough for me to warrant playing the RMA lottery. I'll just live with my issues until I cannot anymore and then I'll open it up.

Back