• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Static with new Polk CS2

ManyCowsMoo

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 3, 2005
Messages
348
I recently jumped on the Newegg deal for a cheap Polk CS2 and installed it on my system yesterday. I noticed right away that they produce a definite static noise when no audio is playing. They produce it even if audio is playing, but it's a bit less noticeable.

Here's how I have my system set up: I have a SPDIF cable from the intergrated sound card optical out going to the optical in on my receiver (a Sherwood RD-6500). I have 2 Polk RSi4's as the front Left/Right speakers connected to the receiver and the Polk CS2 as the center speaker connected to the receiver.

With the RSi4's I don't notice any static whether the center is plugged in or not, so it seems like the Center speaker itself or the receiver's center output is the issue. Any ideas on what the problem could be?

I'm using the same speaker wire for each one, which I believe is 16 gauge speaker wire from radio shack. I'll try swapping the wires for one of the fronts with the center and see what happens when I get home. But aside from that, any other ideas?
 
I recently jumped on the Newegg deal for a cheap Polk CS2 and installed it on my system yesterday. I noticed right away that they produce a definite static noise when no audio is playing. They produce it even if audio is playing, but it's a bit less noticeable.

Here's how I have my system set up: I have a SPDIF cable from the intergrated sound card optical out going to the optical in on my receiver (a Sherwood RD-6500). I have 2 Polk RSi4's as the front Left/Right speakers connected to the receiver and the Polk CS2 as the center speaker connected to the receiver.

With the RSi4's I don't notice any static whether the center is plugged in or not, so it seems like the Center speaker itself or the receiver's center output is the issue. Any ideas on what the problem could be?

I'm using the same speaker wire for each one, which I believe is 16 gauge speaker wire from radio shack. I'll try swapping the wires for one of the fronts with the center and see what happens when I get home. But aside from that, any other ideas?

I had a similar setup w/ SPDIF to a reciever and then a CS2. I noticed no static. I also have a CS1 in the bedroom w/ no static. I would check your wires and then your reciever.
 
Try plugging it in as a different speaker and test to see if it exhibits the same problem. If it does, it's the speaker. If it doesn't, it's the receiver. Cheers.
 
Alright, so I played around with it a little bit today. I tried plugging the center in as the left and it still had the same static. I moved the wires away from each other and I noticed that it got a little better. I figured out that all the speakers produce a little static but the center produces the loudest static, even if I plug it in using the wires for the left. Does this mean the speaker itself is bad or is it the receiver that's giving me the static? Also, all the wires are the same gauge... does gauge make a difference?
 
sounds like the receiver is outputting some noise. could be from the computer or something else plugged into the AC outlets.
The static may be louder with the Polk since it may be a more sensitive speaker (easier to drive).

I would unplug all sources, one by one, from the Receiver and see if/when the static stops.
 
Back
Top