static line down center of Monitor

polonyc2

Fully [H]
I turned on my computer this morning and found this large static line down the center of my monitor (pics attached)...the weird thing is that it comes and goes and is not always on the screen...posting this now using my browser and the line is gone...but then when I return to the Desktop it's back again

does this mean my Monitor is dying or is it possibly a GPU issue?...or something else?...my monitor is an NEC 2490WUXi-BK...

I tried another input and same thing...switched back to the original DVI-D input and it showed up again but I haven't seen it for the past 2 hours...I'm hoping it's gone for good but what could have caused it?...is it possible that the issue is really gone or is this a sign that my monitor is dying...I always thought that once an issue like this pops up that it's the end of the line and it doesn't usually fix itself...I'm hoping I'm wrong though

that is usually a sign of the panel failing, the ribbon that runs across the back of the lcd gets a short or something.
you can pinch the bezel near the edge of the lcd in the distorted section to see if it goes away. if it does, that the prob.
sometime its just a cable. fingers crossed...

that is usually a sign of the panel failing, the ribbon that runs across the back of the lcd gets a short or something.
you can pinch the bezel near the edge of the lcd in the distorted section to see if it goes away. if it does, that the prob.
sometime its just a cable. fingers crossed...

so if the distortion goes away for a day or so that means the problem is fixed?...it's not a sign that the display itself is dying?...the issue seems to be gone for the last few hours but I'm worried that it'll come back...I was cleaning out the filters on the front panel area of my case this morning...when putting the front panel back on there was this electric shock...could that have caused it?

if it goes away when pinched, its failing.
if you shocked the tower, no. if you shocked the monitor, yes.

if it goes away when pinched, its failing

it actually went away without me pinching the bezel...I just took the cable out and shut down the monitor...after a few tries everything is back to normal for the last few hours...

it actually went away without me pinching the bezel...I just took the cable out and shut down the monitor...after a few tries everything is back to normal for the last few hours...

You and I have the same monitor that's relatively the same age. Mine is pushing the big 1-0. I know I'm on borrowed time.

I'm watching this thread closely and then I'm going to be watching to see what you do if you get bad news on this. Good luck.

You and I have the same monitor that's relatively the same age. Mine is pushing the big 1-0. I know I'm on borrowed time.

I'm watching this thread closely and then I'm going to be watching to see what you do if you get bad news on this. Good luck.

yup we're monitor bros...really great LCD too...this was the first LCD I bought after my CRT died...I've had this NEC monitor since November 2009...I thought the issue had gone away but it's back...it's still sporadic in that it comes and goes...most of the time the line is not there but I'm taking this as a sign that it's time to buy a new monitor

now I'm in a pickle...my original plan was to make my next monitor upgrade a 4K one but since my GTX 1070 won't be able to handle 60fps@4K I might have to go with a 1440p one

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
the issue is very weird in that it only shows up right after I power up the computer for the first time...it lasts about 10-15 minutes then disappears for the rest of the time until I shut it down and restart again

so no chance this could be related to the GPU, power supply etc?...I just want to make sure before investing in a new monitor

like this
borrow a monitor and hook it up. that will tell you if you need to keep lookin.

like this
Back