Static and Dynamic IPs

MienTommy

n00b
I thought Static IP was the IP when you go to http://chickenip.com/ and dynamic was your IP Address your router gives you (192.168.1.xxx)

Whenever I reset my modem my IP Changes @ chickenip.com and I thought static IP can't change, so does that mean that I have a Dynamic IP and not a Static IP?

Your ISP assigns you with an external IP address. This is the address from which your modem accesses the internet. Each of the computers on your LAN are given their own ip addresses by the router, but they all appear to the WAN (the internets) as they are of the modem's ip address.

Both the modem address (external IP address) and the address of individual boxes within your LAN (internal IP address) can change. Your ISP may change your external IP address after a period of time. This would cause your external IP address to change when you went to a site such as http://www.whatismyip.org/ to get your IP address.

Boxes within your LAN can be assigned an internal IP address by the router (dynamic IP address) or it can specify its own (static) internal IP address which will not change because the router tells it to do so.

Does this answer your question?

The IP your ISP gives you is your public IP. The IP's that your router hands out to your home computers (192.168.1.x) are private IPs.

The static vs. dynamic question is not related to public vs. private.

A static IP is used when you want to always know what device is at what address. For example, an e-mail server always needs to be at the same address (ignoring dynamic DNS for the moment) so other e-mail servers can get to it, so it needs a static public IP. There may also be times when you want your home computers to have a static IP, maybe for LAN games so you know which machine has which IP.

Dynamic IPs (granted by DHCP) are used when the IP makes no difference, which is most of the time.

in other words:

static IP - an address that never changes

dynamic IP - an address that can change

I just installed Vista Premium and I do not have the second half of the options for remote desktop. I am able allow, but I can't choose the options.

noremote.jpg

(above) I believe that is due to the OS version. This is the same thing with XP Home Edition. Home Premium is not a "business" OS like Vista Business or Vista Ultimate.

Back