Startup Question

K

Krazykemist

Is there any way to disable F@H from starting up when Windows does?

Reason is that there are 10 computers I could have folding here at work for 8 hours a night 4 days a week. Only problem is that my delete happy coworkers will remove anything that they do not recognize.

I have tried to save the program on a networked drive that all these computers are linked to and open the program on each computer, Will they all process the same unit? Will they be doing repetitive work if so? Is there a way to make each work a different unit, like multiple installs in diff directories?

I have tried this and it creates a second log file but nothing is shown in it.

If the computers are running Windows 2K/XP, I suggest setting them up to run as scheduled tasks that start when Windows starts up. That way they never see it running and won't delete it or shut it down.

CEO is a tightass so all computers are still running Windows 98.
How would I go about changing the access rights?

If they're running 98, you're SOL.

I'd also start looking for a new company to work for. Running obsolete OSs on company machines is not a good sign.

Are you logging into a domain for that networked drive, or just using peer-to-peer on a 98 machine? And as for your first question, you would have to create a different folding folder for each machine.

Brian Taylor

That was kind of harsh mwarps. Running 98 isn't necessarily a bad thing. I have quite a few 98 machines left around because a lot of my teachers have programs they want to run that simply wont run under 2000 or XP even if I remove any semblance of system security.

And like the old saying says: "If it ain't broken, don't fix it." Not everyone needs the newest and greatest stuff out there, and not everyone spends 12 hours a day in front of a computer like a lot of us here do. If 98 is meeting their needs then there is very little need to upgrade, just for upgradings sake.

Sure, 98 is a little bit tougher to hide folding@home on, but I'm guessing thats not one of his companies primary concerns.

Brian Taylor

Originally posted by BrianTaylor
That was kind of harsh mwarps. Running 98 isn't necessarily a bad thing. I have quite a few 98 machines left around because a lot of my teachers have programs they want to run that simply wont run under 2000 or XP even if I remove any semblance of system security.

And like the old saying says: "If it ain't broken, don't fix it." Not everyone needs the newest and greatest stuff out there, and not everyone spends 12 hours a day in front of a computer like a lot of us here do. If 98 is meeting their needs then there is very little need to upgrade, just for upgradings sake.

Sure, 98 is a little bit tougher to hide folding@home on, but I'm guessing thats not one of his companies primary concerns.

Brian Taylor

That's true. Education is still using Macs that are a decade old. If it ain't borked, don't fix it, right? But then again, I doubt highly he's in education. Most teachers are not "delete happy" I worked in IT in my middle and high schools, until about six years ago. Most teachers (not all) are ignorant to the point of bliss. (-the harsh reality-)

If you read the post it says "tightwad CEO" which tells me he knows he needs an upgrade, but his boss is too much of a penny pinching idiot to do the job right. It doesn't say "we don't need to upgrade, we're perfectly all set"

Realistically, the best thing you can do is rename the files to look important and put the attributes to be system and hidden, unless you run them off a centralized server in separate directories for each machine, then just protect the startup links.

The best defense against ignorance can sometimes be obfuscation.

Yeah POS machines are running 98 because thats all they can handle. They do not meet the requirements for anything newer.
It's pretty sad really when a Tri-State Internet company runs on obselete crap. These machines have to be ghosted at least once every other week. When I had a HD crash their solution was for me to take the HD out of the one from another dept and put the broke one in that one. Where it still sits today and noone can use it because they wont buy a new HD. </end work rant>

We log into a domain on startup. I think I am going to setup separate folders on the networked drive. Will be funny when an admin checks traffic and sees the same tech logged into 10 machines though :p

I may be jumping to conclusions here, but it sounds like you may be attempting to run F@H on the sly. If you are running it without the permission of the system owner (tightwad CEO?) you are probably violating company policy in addition to the FAH license, and may put yourself at risk of civil liability or criminal prosecution.

I mean no offense, but it is important to realise that the [H]orde and Stanford do no want or need such contributions.

Assuming you have permission, you can run the GUI version per these intructions at the Folding-community forum. i haven't tried it so I can't confirm the success of this method.

Originally posted by Krazykemist
Yeah POS machines are running 98 because thats all they can handle. They do not meet the requirements for anything newer.
It's pretty sad really when a Tri-State Internet company runs on obselete crap. These machines have to be ghosted at least once every other week. When I had a HD crash their solution was for me to take the HD out of the one from another dept and put the broke one in that one. Where it still sits today and noone can use it because they wont buy a new HD. </end work rant>

We log into a domain on startup. I think I am going to setup separate folders on the networked drive. Will be funny when an admin checks traffic and sees the same tech logged into 10 machines though :p

I second Chugiak's notice of alarm... If these aren't your machines, or you don't have permission to fold on them, please don't get yourself in trouble.

Trying to get permission should be your first step.

If you have permission to run it, you can always go to www.em-dc.com and use HideItX to run and hide the console version of the client. I ran folding on all of our 95/98 systems for a long time with that method and it works very well. I want to stay out of the OS argument, but I will say that in day to day use in the office, I find little to no difference in reliability or efficiency since we made the move to 2K/XP in our ~45 PC office.

I'm not trying to run it on the sly. You can walk in at any time and see it up and running. What I am trying to do is prevent the other people here from removing the program on the machines. No, we do not own our individual machines but we are allowed to install and use whatever software on them. We also do not have set stations meaning one tech can be on 5 different computers in the course of a week. Which is the reason that I already run Opera, Winamp and any other program they can screw with the settings of, from the networked drive since they have to login to my directory to access it.
Suporvisors do know I run programs like this as I ran Seti previously. The reason they do not care is that I am the only one here overnight so there is no need for access to the other PCs.
Mattman- I will check into that site later to see if it will work in my situation thanks.

Back