Started playing around with my PowerEdge 2450 but it's hella hard; any tips for n00b?

RavinDJ

Supreme [H]ardness
So I have the Dell PowerEdge 2450 with the following specs:

Dual P3 600Mhz
256MB RAM (ECC)
2x IBM 9.1GB Drives
Floppy/CD
2x P/S

It's got 2 more slots for 2 more drives. I'd eventually want to get 2 more; should I go for 2 more 9.1GB's or should I juse upgrade to 18GB+?

Also, I just tried creating a RAID 1 (Mirror) config, but it says it needs to do a SCRUB. What's that? The drives are both blank (or they should be, at least).

In any case, I was gonna install RedHat 9.0 on it. Good idea? If I wanted to learn more about it, where should I go? PowerEdge manual? Read thru the FAQ again?

THANKS!

So I opted for RH9 and I chose the SERVER installation. I also added a bunch of packages that they didn't select by default. Should I have done Gnome or KDE?

I'll try to turn it into my DHCP server... whoooopeeee :D

mail it to me? :p

first off, basically, a scrub will write all zero's to the disks I believe, and that way the array can be setup....

second...I would shoot for the 18's
actually, you could keep the two 9's right now, and then get a couple of 18 or 36's even and do another separate raid array with those and have a big storage array...

and...yeah this box would be good gameserver...or good for palying with 2k/2k3 advanced server.....well with more memory...
you probably want some more memory anyways...hehe

but otherwise...just play with it! turn it into an all in one mail / web / ftp / file / game / irc / whatever the hell else server for yourself!

So Windows 2000 Server and/or Windows 2000 Adv. Server are still not out-of-date?

I'm guessin' I'm better off with Win 2000 Server instead of NT, huh?

RavinDJ said:
So Windows 2000 Server and/or Windows 2000 Adv. Server are still not out-of-date?

I'm guessin' I'm better off with Win 2000 Server instead of NT, huh?

If you can get your hand on Windows 2003, go for that. I think its much better than Win2k. But whatever you can get *cough cough*

killerasp said:
If you can get your hand on Windows 2003, go for that. I think its much better than Win2k. But whatever you can get *cough cough*

Haha... will do!

Yeah, I think I'm gonna go for the Windows Action Pack, or whatever it's called. It's either $199 or $299 and it includes Win2003 Server, MSSQL Server, and a shitload of other software. I think it's only for playing around and not for actual business deployment, but it's good enough for me.

Thanks for the input!

BTW... having the PowerEdge 2450 as my first server EVER... I'm definitely excited and it's awesome!

I already deleted RedHat 9.0 and installed WinXP Pro (calm down... it was just to test it out). It looks the same, nothing special. I'm gonna install Win2k Server on it and once I get my hands on Win2003 erver, I'll do that.

Then, again... eventually, I might just go the Linux route. I downloaded SuSe Personal 9.1 last night. Can't wait to try it :D

RavinDJ said:
So I opted for RH9 and I chose the SERVER installation. I also added a bunch of packages that they didn't select by default. Should I have done Gnome or KDE?

I'll try to turn it into my DHCP server... whoooopeeee :D

Read my sig! =)

Back