Start Folding the Easy Way!!

Ok, if you restarted the client, then lets wait and see. Sometimes you need more than 3 frames completed to get a good idea of how fast the work unit is going to run anyways. You could always leave your CPu client on 24/7 like you are with the GPU clients. Especially leaving it on overnight wouldn't be bad. I assume you get free electricity?

Hey Great_Shovel, welcome to our forums!

Ok i'll keep monitoring it for any change over the next couple hours. The clients will be running most of the time, I just say not 24/7 since I do game a bit and would have to pause them. But as mentioned I wont be doing much of that till around mid december. I'll definitely be leaving them on overnight, correct about the free electricity. Good thing about living in an apartment, I even have a small grow-op (few varieties of chili peppers) during the winter in my bedroom as well with a power bar filled up with a bunch of CFL's. Room looks incredibly bright through the window, wouldn't be surprised if the cops came knocking on my door one day.

It is recommended to leave one core free when running multiple gpu's. The tracker has an option to set the number of cores so just do that. For the settings to take place you will need to stop the client you are working on and then start it again
depending on the CPU and memory bandwidth, leaving a core open for the OS is almost desired if you are going to try and use the machine while folding.

(windows Needs almost a full CPU to run sometimes, throw on email, antivirus, GPU clients, and you might need more CPUs)

My matched GTS250's and quad core Q6600 throw up about 11000 points a day. ( on a system I used about 10 hours a day)

@ amdgamer
Thanks for the welcome.
@raulavaz
With the advmethods units back up (the 912 and 925 pointers) and running you will probably see around 12-15K on each 460. The tracker has a built in game pause feature but I have never actually tried it so if you do let us know how it works

Ok i'll keep monitoring it for any change over the next couple hours. The clients will be running most of the time, I just say not 24/7 since I do game a bit and would have to pause them. But as mentioned I wont be doing much of that till around mid december. I'll definitely be leaving them on overnight, correct about the free electricity. Good thing about living in an apartment, I even have a small grow-op (few varieties of chili peppers) during the winter in my bedroom as well with a power bar filled up with a bunch of CFL's. Room looks incredibly bright through the window, wouldn't be surprised if the cops came knocking on my door one day.

That, or an angry landlord that got pissed off because you ran up his electric bill :D

@raulavaz
With the advmethods units back up (the 912 and 925 pointers) and running you will probably see around 12-15K on each 460. The tracker has a built in game pause feature but I have never actually tried it so if you do let us know how it works

Right now the GPU running the 925 point credit is listed as 15.3k ppd, while the 912 credit one is 14k ppd. It's been changing a bit (every little thing in firefox seems to cause a drop in gpu usage), but they have both been around 14.7k. I saw that game pause feature, I'll give it a try right now and report back how it goes.

Right now the GPU running the 925 point credit is listed as 15.3k ppd, while the 912 credit one is 14k ppd. It's been changing a bit (every little thing in firefox seems to cause a drop in gpu usage), but they have both been around 14.7k. I saw that game pause feature, I'll give it a try right now and report back how it goes.

Thats pretty good. What are your clocks at on the 460s?

yeah web browsing will do that.. its not just firefox specifically.. any flash app, and java app.. will cause the gpu usage to drop.. run dual displays causes it to drop as well.. my pimary card runs at 96% usage constant because of windows aero and running dual displays.. java app or flash will cause it to drop to 90% with hardware accel on with it off it drops to 95%..

That, or an angry landlord that got pissed off because you ran up his electric bill :D

Heh that too :p

Thats pretty good. What are your clocks at on the 460s?

both are at 880/1760, can do 850 on stock voltage, have to bump it up 2 notches for 880, and cant go much farther at 1087mv

yeah web browsing will do that.. its not just firefox specifically.. any flash app, and java app.. will cause the gpu usage to drop.. run dual displays causes it to drop as well.. my pimary card runs at 96% usage constant because of windows aero and running dual displays.. java app or flash will cause it to drop to 90% with hardware accel on with it off it drops to 95%..

maybe i'll turn off my second monitor while I am sleeping then to help

Also, just tested that game feature. Stopped as soon as the game window launched, resumed as fast as restarting the clients can.

@GShovel

Welcome to the dark side :)

While I thank you all for the warm welcome but for full disclosure I fold for evga. But I do try to help people with folding whenever and wherever I am. As I have only used jedi's tracker to fold I thought I could impart some stuff I learned while using it bc I think if people want to fold they shouldnt have to try to jump threw hoops to get it going and while some might say im helping the enemy I really dont care bc I just want people to fold. I hope there is no hard feelings that I dont fold for [H]

While I thank you all for the warm welcome but for full disclosure I fold for evga. But I do try to help people with folding whenever and wherever I am. As I have only used jedi's tracker to fold I thought I could impart some stuff I learned while using it bc I think if people want to fold they shouldnt have to try to jump threw hoops to get it going and while some might say im helping the enemy I really dont care bc I just want people to fold. I hope there is no hard feelings that I dont fold for [H]

Don't worry as Parja folds for you guys as well, and we still love him. Parja used to fold for us from what I understand before he was seduced. Sharing knowledge I think is just as important as this rivalry between our teams. After all, the learning curve is a bit steep for your average computer user, and it is awesome that Jedi came up with this to help people out. In future versions, I would like to recommend that he set the default team to #33 though.

Don't worry as Parja folds for you guys as well, and we still love him. Parja used to fold for us from what I understand before he was seduced. Sharing knowledge I think is just as important as this rivalry between our teams. After all, the learning curve is a bit steep for your average computer user, and it is awesome that Jedi came up with this to help people out. In future versions, I would like to recommend that he set the default team to #33 though.

Lol im sure for the first few days the team id will catch a lot of people lol. And I agree with you that folding takes time to learn. While I have used the tracker from the beginning of my folding (about a month) I have learned a lot since then and have screwed around with the actual clients and have just determined if the tracker works there really isnt a reason to use anything else. And I didnt know parja used to fold over here hes helped me out a few times

There is a bug in 3.15 that will cause clients not to properly restart if you change the config settings while the clients are running. This has been fixed in the 3.16 beta I released to the beta team a few minutes ago. For now, you can run the Tracker with the -hangcheck command line flag (make sure you apply it to the Tracker, not the FAH clients)

Also, all the FAH clients run by the Tracker are given the -oneunit flag regardless of settings. The setting in the configuration window simply tells the Tracker not to restart the client when it finishes a WU. This is the reason that setting oneunit in the middle of a WU is possible with the Tracker.

Thank you very much for the information sir!

I can't get my 4870x2 to push the GPU client on both cores. It only works on one core and thats it. Otherwise pretty great client :)

I had to manually configure my second GTX460 - tracker did not set up the config right.

I had to manually configure my second GTX460 - tracker did not set up the config right.

How did you manually configure it?

Edit : Yea it won't work regardless of how I've set it up , I think the 4870x2 right now is broken for using both GPUs.

I can't get my 4870x2 to push the GPU client on both cores. It only works on one core and thats it. Otherwise pretty great client :)

4870x2 you need a dummy plug to get the second gpu going i believe but honestly isnt worth it.. card might get 6k PPD total with both GPU's.. while a mild overclocked 8800GTS can do over 6k PPD.. the current ATI clients junk..

4870x2 you need a dummy plug to get the second gpu going i believe but honestly isnt worth it.. card might get 6k PPD total with both GPU's.. while a mild overclocked 8800GTS can do over 6k PPD.. the current ATI clients junk..

Its a secondary system so I just want to get it running if I can. My main system is GTX 480 SLI which of course is much faster.

I think oneunit is how Tracker works - it spawns -oneunit sessions, monitors them and launches a new one one it is finished.

Yeah, I believe you have it right. That also explains how it is able to set -oneunit without a client restart, it defaults to -oneclient, and gets another when done.

This is an amazing little program from the looks of it, I may try it on a borged system I have that's been giving me issues. Just wanted to say thanks for putting it together and letting the community know what you've done, and sharing your work for the benefit of all.

@ Jedi: I have another bug to report. Tracker defaults to EVGA. :p j/k

Strong work, thanks.

God I miss having free power :(. Had to dismantle my (at the time) 28kppd monster.

36$ a month is way too much to bare.

PLEASE ALWAYS REMEMBER

Change the team number to #33 when setting up this application as it defaults to the competitions team number!

Feels like there may be some tuning opportunities for ATI based GPU folding. I'm on Win7 64-bit with the Core2Duo at 2.67 GHz (stock) and a Radeon 5850 stock on 10.12 drivers.

When just running the GPU part of the client, I get only 2800 ppd and 1.5 of my CPU cores utilized (core 1 at 100%, core 2 at about 50%). Doesn't feel quite right.

I also cannot get the current work unit to complete after 5 attempts in a row, it basically dumps before completing and starts from scratch again.

ok first thanks a lot jedi95 and OP.
I know what folding is and about the [H] team and the latest competition with Evga but that’s as far as my information goes.

the sticky guide in the DC forum is not very helpful when it comes to choosing a client and what comes after, did a quick search when the race to 4 million started so I can open a new “help a noob thread” but I got more confused and forgot about it.

anyway, I downloaded the FAH thing and followed the steps but it’s not working (pic). any ideas?
and how can I have a fixed ID at [H]ardOCP or the other stat sites? I’m not sure if writing my name in the user name field is all what I have to do. and what’s the best link to use to follow my work and our teams progress?

I can add my P4 based desktop at work and few other similar desktops to the party so what should I do to insure all the folding is being added to the same user?

edit: I created a user here http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/getpasskey.py and I think it's working now. i'll try to do the same at work.

Last edited:
PLEASE ALWAYS REMEMBER

Change the team number to #33 when setting up this application as it defaults to the competitions team number!
we don't all fold for [H] ya know ;)

beautiful utility though, couldn't be happier with the way its working, especially since my SMP client wasn't working with bigadv units until I started using this.

sharps97 said:
Feels like there may be some tuning opportunities for ATI based GPU folding. I'm on Win7 64-bit with the Core2Duo at 2.67 GHz (stock) and a Radeon 5850 stock on 10.12 drivers.

When just running the GPU part of the client, I get only 2800 ppd and 1.5 of my CPU cores utilized (core 1 at 100%, core 2 at about 50%). Doesn't feel quite right.

ATI cards are pretty weak at folding. I ran a 4870 for several years and averaged just around 2200 PPD. Swapped to a gtx 460 and started getting 13-20k ppd. now i've got a pair in SLI

How taxing is this on your cpu and gpu?

very. F@H is designed to use every possible cpu cycle and gpu/shader cycle possible. but all depends on the client your running. the gpu client uses very little cpu and all of the gpu and vice versa with the smp client and honestly the smp clients a far better stress testing app then either prime95 or IBT since it puts a lot more load on your northbridge then either stess testing apps.

remember guys if you ever need help, especially with the ATI folding and ways to fix the excessive cpu usage of the ATI client, feel free to drop by the distributed computing sub forum at the bottom of the main forum.

Thanks OP. Just took a few minutes to set up and now I'm folding. It's that simple! Awesome program. Kudos!

Interesting. Maybe I'll give it a whirl. :cool:

It takes a lot of the kludgery out of folding (especially if you want to run multiple clients, such as SMP and GPU at the same time, which is recommended for multicore setup anyway with any sort of recent GPU). I can finally get back into folding again.

MIghty Mouse V.2.0A Folding PPD:

CPU - 34.7 (SMP)
GPU - 242.1 (HD5450 passive-cooled)

Agggregate PPD - 276.8

Team # - 33 [H]ardOCP

I have to admit; the GPU number is a shocker (entirely because it's a bottom-end passive-cooled Mobility GPU in desktop clothes). Still it shows what even the floor can do.

Last edited:
Back