• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

SSD & windows 7

Bigbacon

Fully [H]
2FA
Joined
Jul 12, 2007
Messages
22,647
got my first ever SSD today and I'm installing windows 7.

is there anything special I need to know or install to get the most out of the drive and keep it alive as long as possible?

crucial MX100
 
If you are fresh installing 7, then you should be fine and really don't need to do anything unless you bought a really small unit. Windows setup should detect it and set the system properly.
 
make sure TRIM is turned on, use AHCI, and never defrag or run constant benchmarking. Generally you want to keep a buffer of capacity never used. 20gb or so is ample and in many cases more then you really need to keep never used, but the more the merrier. Not that much to using an SSD over a standard mechanical really.
http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86403
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2069761

thanks, I think this is stuff I was talking about not knowing.
 
Back
Top