SSD Cashing of movie on NAS

Mr.Nosmo

n00b
I'm planning a build for a HTPC that fits under my TV, where my 2x NAS-box's are, but I was wondering if it's possible to have any player (VLC, Plex...) to cache the movie on a local SSD, so the NAS can spin down as soon as the movie is moved to the local SSD automatically? It's 2x 8-bay Synology, so having 8x 3.5" spinning just to watch a movie is quite a lot of electricity wasted for nothing and the noise..... Any idea's & input is welcome!

You want to wait 30 seconds for your movie to start playing? OR 3+ minutes for an unconverted BluRay? That's not chump-change.

I remember having to deal with that load time on my slow 16MBps Token Ring while streaming mp3s to Winamp. It had a feature to preload the entire mp3 (to avoid any skips with a busy network), but it took several seconds.

But that was SECONDS. You're talking about waiting MUCH LONGER, assuming you can get something to cache for you. You're going to be network-limited. TV shows will be much faster, but still just as slow as mp3s were for me.

Last edited:
Yes, Kodi (and derivatives) can do exactly that. Playback starts immediately and caching continues in the background at full gigabit speeds. I personally have my HTPC set up to do exactly this and it works great with an older 80gb Intel SSD since no single movie is that large.

Be sure you're using a proper SSD and not just a cheap flash drive or SD card. You will need to adjust all 3 parameters listed in section 2 here: http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Modify_the_video_cache

Even the largest movies I have take no more than about 5 minutes to fully cache (~30gb blu-ray remux). If you compress your media and don't just do raw blu-ray rips, probably looking at just a couple minutes for a movie and a minute per TV episode.

So a Kodi build it will be! Super, Thank You guys!

I have a 120GB Vertex 3 SSD that barely have been used...

Back