SSD and HDD cooperation

MidRanger

n00b
Hello, I have an SSD with Windows 7 installed and an HDD for storage. I would like to install programs and games on to the HDD. Is this as simple as selecting the proper drive letter during installation?

Secondly on my C:\ drive I install in either Program Files or Program Files x86, should I create those folders on the HDD even though there is no operating system on that drive? Thank you.

Last edited:
No, it won't be all that difficult, you've already worked out the basics. More than likely some data will still reside on the C: drive either in the Program Files or Program Files (x86) directories but also in the Users folder for the specific username as well, and perhaps even some data might find itself in ProgramData as well. The primary folder you choose to install the game/software in will be where the mother lode of it will eventually be.

Hello, I have an SSD with Windows 7 installed and an HDD for storage. I would like to install programs and games on to the HDD. Is this as simple as selecting the proper drive letter during installation?

Secondly on my C:\ drive I install in either Program Files or Program Files x86, should I create those folders on the HDD even though there is no operating system on that drive? Thank you.
Yes, just point the apps to the new drive. You may want to create a folder called "Games" or something to keep them organized, then select D:\Games (or whatever). You do not need to call it Program Files.

It will work fine.
I've had to do this for the new 58GB Fallout 4 HD pack, wont fit on my SSD.

If you're using Steam, Origin or Uplay, you'll need to go and change where games installed by default. In Steam that's done under Steam->Settings->Downloads->Library Folders. Steam recently added the ability to move games to different drives, right click on a game, select Properties->Local Files tab and there's a Move Install Folder button.

Back