SRP - "Run As Admin" Not Working, Even With "All Users Except Local Administrators"

ElectroPulse

Limp Gawd
Hello, all!

[Is this the right forum? I figured the "Security" in "Networking and Security" made it so this would apply here... However, not sure if it just applies to security specifically having to do with networking. If it needs moved, feel free to do so.]

I have been messing around with setting up Software Restriction Policies this evening (no AD currently (that will come later), just a bunch of computers in a workgroup), and I have run into a problem...

Here is what I have: Under enforcement, I have "All users except local administrators" selected, and for the default security level I have "Disallowed." The admin account is a created account, with the administrator account disabled, and it is in the "Administrators" group.

When I set those settings, I am unable to run programs in disallowed locations, whether it be by simply double-clicking, or by right-clicking and selecting "Run as administrator."

However, when I set the default to "Basic User," it behaves as the "Disallowed" was described... Normal users (and admin account before elevating through right-click>run as administrator) cannot run the file, but it can be run through right-click>run as administrator. Is this how it should behave?

I have been doing some looking around online for a while, and so far have only found a couple other people with this issue... Unfortunately, neither had an answer in the thread.

One thing I did notice... All of the computers that are in the computer lab were cloned from one install, so they all have the problem... The one computer that wasn't cloned does not have this problem.

So, TL;DR: "All users except local administrators" selected with "Disallow" as default, and a local admin cannot right-click>Run as administrator.

Thanks!
ElectroPulse

Back