SQL programming and cost? Business related

eo273

n00b
Sup? Hey I havent been around latety, but I used to be a frequent visitor back when the "general mayhem" and "the bone closet" board was up and the "babe thread" and "icy hot stunners" where hot topics, but life changes and you lose touch, but i recently encountered a problem and figgured someone at the hard forum might know something about it...

I have a small business im starting, and i've already incorporated and have been somewhat successful doing small machine work, but I had this idea to create a website.... and I dont want to get into the details about it yet, but I have a problem and figgured this is the place to go...

I need someone to do some complicated (at least in my mind) SQL programming... I made a text doc of what i need done and will cut and paste it below...

BEGIN LIST...

"Basic needs…

login/password system… user enters desired login/password along with a valid email for password to be sent to… enters info on age and location via ZIP code during sign up

user than needs to be able to download file from selection… each selection needs to have a counter on it, and each file selection needs to have the opportunity to vote on 5 sets of 1-10 scales… with results automatically totaled per scale…
each of the 5 sets needs to have independent results, and an averaged combined total…

a user can only vote once per file!!

a running total of each individual vote needs to be logged… so that each month, each file can have a tally showing what percentage of the total votes was made by 5 specific age ranges, along with locations divided into 100 or so areas… (zip codes run from 00012 on the each coast to 99089 on the west coast…) may be possible to divide by zip code numbers… ie, 00012-09050 and so on… international results may also need to capable of being registered, altho as of now, this is not necessary…

basically I need to be able to compile the voting results of files downloaded into a presentable report… presumably a very thick report…

I need to be able to show

1. how many times an individual file was downloaded…
2. the number of times an individual file had been voted on
3. the files average voting result of all 5 rating scales combined
4. the files average voting result per individual scale…
5. an 5 part age divide, showing the average results among each divide.. ie, “of 10-18 year olds - 10% gave it a 1, 5% gave it a 2, 30% gave it a 3 and so on…” these results could be compiled from the overall rating on all 5 rating scales combined, altho future situations could demand that all 5 be individually broke down…
6. of the averaged results combined, a 100 part break down of where the results were cast using the supplied ZIP code when signing up…
7. Insane request… possibly a breakdown between age group and zip code, and maybe even a breakdown between individual voting scale results among age and zips… ie, “10-18 year olds in 00012-09012 - Scale ‘A’ - 34% voted a 1, 12% voted a 2, and so on, for each scale, for each file… impossible?

im expecting thousands of votes across a wide variety of files… the number of votes cast could grow rapidly… I need to be able to handle this type of situation…

am I crazy or what? Can this be done? At what cost? "

END LIST...

None of my freinds know much about databasing, but they tell me it isn't too hard to learn.... but i contacted a guy my girlfriends brother knows and he quoted me a $3000 - $6000 quote.... i laughed at him.... that was for a complete package, but me and my business partener had all ready created a website, email accounts, URL registration and the likes... still, just the databasing part he quoted me was around $3000, for that amount I could go to school and learn it all myself....

sorry this is so long, but my main questions are, is this quote way out of line, or would anyone here be interested in making an offer which would be paid cash (maybe around $500?) or a share of company profits.... anyone know SQL who is near the Cleveland OH area? Any takers?
Thanx - eo273

You need to find you a college student. They'll do the job for you for cheap. The systems you're probably going to want to look into for your website are MySQL and PHP, both of which are offered by iPaska if you're looking for a host.

It really isn't hard, but there is learning involved. The system you're talking about isn't complicated, and with a week's worth of work a half-decent designer could get the system done well.

$500 should be about right on the money...as long as you're not looking for somebody with a portfolio as long as your arm and a CV to die for. The sort of person you're going to be looking for is the kind that's built a couple of dynamic content sites and has an interest in building that kind of application. Hell, if I was in the area I'd do it. I'm not exactly up the road, tho :p

That would be pretty easy stuff in sql2000 and ASP.NET. I could do it in two days or so.

Originally posted by [H] - WRX
That would be pretty easy stuff in sql2000 and ASP.NET. I could do it in two days or so.

Maybe, if you skipped testing and only built in the requirements to the letter. The last requirement implies to me that there may be further reporting requirements, so it'd make sense to build in a flexible reporting module.

Also, don't forget that there will have to be a support agreement to go with it.

Depending on the equipment/software available you could whip this out using an Oracle DB and Oracle Discover for the reports in a matter of days. If software needs to be free, the reporting stuff is basically just a bitch.

I worked on a LARGE download management system, and the part that took us the longest to design correctly, was the report management. It's just downright annoying, but not impossible.

And whoever specced $500 dollars for this was pretty close if you can find a poor/desperate college student. If you want to go with someone quasi-professional it will probably cost $750+.

PS contact me offboard at ( me AT tannerburson DOT com ) as I may be interested :)

oracle is big $$$. I work on a data managment project for the DOD. We use Oracle, Sybase, Informix, Cache, and SQL2000. SQL2000 is the best bang for the buck, and it's easy to learn/use.

Originally posted by [H] - WRX
oracle is big $$$. I work on a data managment project for the DOD. We use Oracle, Sybase, Informix, Cache, and SQL2000. SQL2000 is the best bang for the buck, and it's easy to learn/use.

Sure SQL2k has some neat options, but Oracle has more ;) And most of what you can do with SQL2k can be done with free DB's like postgres.

thats for the replies so far... as far as anything consisting of SQl or anything similar im clueless, so im glad to hear that it shouldn't be too complicated...

of course i would have some type of service agreement/contract with it, I may even consider adding the person to the payroll to do updates and what not...

I'm glad to hear that the $500 amount is close to a fair amount... when i first heard $6,000 I was blown away... $750 is even cool... thanx for the help... once I get this site up and running, ill post it up here for all to see, altho right now im trying to keep it under wraps so no one steals my idea...

if anyone thinks they might be interested, feel free to post your email addy and ill gather a list together and when the time comes in the next few weeks to get this thing done, i might contact you... come to think of it, being close to CLE ins't too big a deal... I would prefer to sit down and whatnot but im sure it could all be done over the fone/internet... thanx for the help again guys, keep up the good work...

- eo273

Back