SQL help

musicman

Limp Gawd
I've just started learning SQL and for some reason I can't wrap my brain around it. Yes this is homework, but if someone would point me in the right directions, I believe I complete the rest of it.

Given these tables:

Customer
cus_code
cus_lname
cus_fname
cus_initial
cus_areacode
cus_phone
cus_balance

Line
inv_number
line_number
p_code
line_units
line_price

Invoice
inv_number
cus_code
inv_date

Product
p_code
p_descript
p_indate
p_qoh (quantity on hand)
p_min (minimum)
p_price
p_discount
v_code

1. Write a query to display the customer code, invoice #, line #, product description, line units and line price for each item ordered Sort by customer code and invoice #

Here's what I have but I keep getting an error (ORA-01790: expression must have same datatype as corresponding expression
):

SELECT i.cus_code, i.inv_number, l.line_number
FROM invoice i join line l ON i.inv_number = l.inv_number
UNION
SELECT l.line_units, l.line_price, p.p_descript FROM line l join product p ON l.p_code = p.p_code;

I'm probably making it harder than it should be.

What you've coded is a UNION, which is far simpler than what you need to implement the requested query. To get this right, you'll need to code a multi-way inner join.

Thanks, that helps. Didn't realize what it took to get it to work could be done.

And the reason for the error message is that when you do a UNION, the sets must be column-by-column compatible. Whether or not the other columns are compatible, line_number and p_descript certainly seem not to be (presumtively of a numeric type and of a character type, respectively.)

Back