Splicing cat5

• Thread starter Deleted member 12106
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 12106

One of our smaller switches took a dump, and one of my back burner projects was to eventually run all the cat5 to the larger switches, off of the shop floor, into a more controlled environment.

What is the best practice for splicing and running additional length?

I'd rather not re-run all the cat5.

I have about 20 lines I need to extend.

Thoughts where an inline coupler, however, I am not sure how this would affect performance...Most clients are 10/100, will be running to a gigabit switch, and, if I can get a reliable and speedy 100mbps connection, I would be happy as pie.

inline couplers=gashtastic. do it properly. i've had to do this countless times where i've inherited installs that didn't get the proper planning when they were done first time around. you can get properly rated cat5e box cons with krone strips...so, choose your new install location, get your cab installed, then replace your existing cab with a box con, and then run extensions from the box con to the new location. so long as you use decent trunking that is properly installed, they don't usually look half bad.

Any type of inline splice is another point of failure.

It is only 20 lines. Pull new lines and reduce future headaches. It is the correct way to do it.

I think the question that needs to be asked is are these home runs or are they terminated? If they're home runs I can see not wanting to run new ones especially if it's a major pain in the ass. In that case I would terminate on a 110 where they all end, and then cut off the heads of network cables, terminate onto the waffers of the 110 and run the jumpers to the switch. It's not better than running new but better than splicing stuff together. Overall I'd still recommend running new cables as it lessens the points of failure.

ive done coupler for 1 or 2 cables, for alot i would terminate to patch panel and then run em again.

The runs are terminated to jacks and plug directly into a switch. I would rather not re-run the cables. Thoughts are where the switches are, terminate to a punch down panel and run to another panel an put the switch there.

I need to measure the runs though. Where I wanted to run the lines to, may be too far away from the other end.

Doing some measuring..

One of the longest drops may be close to 300'.

Thinking I am going to bite the bullet and re-run the cable. Not liking the idea of adding more phail.

I have never used shielded cable, with the high current we use for equipment and florescent lighting, I think it may be of benefit.

I'm also thinking that I want to future proof as much as possible, so, going to run an extra drop to each location, "just in case".

Thoughts?

Instead of buying shielded cable you could run it through EMT conduit where needed.

could also leave the switch where it is. cost of running new wire may cause the client to be pissed =p

Instead of buying shielded cable you could run it through EMT conduit where needed.

That's a lot of EMT. We have a lot of machines that draw some massive power. Example: On a quiet morning, when we turn on our air compressor, the transformer makes noise, as do the power lines 1/4 mile away:eek:

could also leave the switch where it is. cost of running new wire may cause the client to be pissed =p

It's my employer. I get to run the cable.

Thinking shielded from punch down at switch to punch downs in wall mount boxes. Shouldn't have to worry about ends this way, and, anything that runs by high power should be shielded.

After having worked with shielded cable for the first time last month, I can tell you that it's worth the extra cost. One of my runs around massive florescent just used to have terrible trouble with packet loss, and I reran UTP cable as well as tested different NICs and different switches, and was at a loss. Then it finally struck me, I ran two STP cables, and haven't had any problems since. Stripping and punching down were pretty straight forward, too.

If there is a power source nearby you could always get repeaters, Kinda pricey but worth looking up.

Back