Spectorsoft/eBlaster

steaksauce

Weaksauce
First off, thank you for reading, this may be kind of lengthy.

I recently come to find out that my girlfriends pc was loaded with spectorsoft/eblaster software. We knew this simply because her ex(who is, basically, a nutjob) knew everything she was doing, and everything that we had said to each other via email/IM's. My immediate suspicion was keylogger. Well, after going through various spyware checkers(adaware, spybot, norton, etc) norton pulls up spectorsoft. I do a little bit of research and come to find what a nasty program it is. Norton says it removed the software, but thats not enough for me. I decided a reformat was in order.

She has an Acer laptop. The only discs it came with were system discs and restore discs, so I needed to follow through with that software. From the factory, these laptops come with 2 partitions. Unfortunantly, and for some strange reason, this restore from the discs only reformats partitiion one.

Now I have a few concerns. Partition two was not reformatted, thus, is it possible he could have installed the software onto partition two? As a note, after the reformat, norton did not pick up the software again. I also checked nortons website with their list of threats, and found the registry keys that norton listed as being associated with this software and they were not present on the system. But I do not trust these, seeing as this software "makes its money", so to say, by being invisible, so I imagine thats something they change frequently.

The other problem comes in with the fact that this guy and my girlfriend have a small child together, thus he is in her house sometime. So, while the software may be gone now, I can see him trying to add it again in teh future.

So what I really want to know, is are any of you guys familiar enough with the software to either let me know if Norton is a sufficient guard against this, and if not, what I can do from time to time to verify that he has not reinstalled the software.

Thanks. HOpefully it all makes sense.

It's not adware...it's..well, spyware...but..it's fully legitimate...it's not some sneaky trojan that you somehow pickup, it's a fully legit surveillance software that's purchased and installed. You don't remove it via adware removers...lol. It's like trying to uninstall Microsoft Office using Spybot.

http://www.spectorsoft.com/

I've fiddled with their Spector CNE.

It's generally uninstall by launching the program itself using pre-set hotkeys...and using hotkeys again...you'll have an uninstall option. Obviously since it's a legit program..that needs to remain hidden, you don't see it in add/remove, or your programs menu.

Back