• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Speakers/Setup questions

EndersShadow

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Dec 27, 2008
Messages
1,228
First let me explain my setup and then my question will make sense.

I installed a blu-ray player in my computer. I currently have my computer connected to two 19" monitors and for movies a 32" HDTV connected via HDMI straight to the TV. I have a set of logitech speakers (X-530's) that are connected to my computer for purposes of music and currently when watching blu-rays.

My HDTV is connected to a receiver (see sig) and a set of Polk Monitor 40's, a CS1 and a Sony HTIAB 8" sub (2.1ish setup). I also have a 5 disc DVD player connected to the receiver via HDMI and SPDIF (receiver does HDMI pass-through only)

I have the TV audio being sent out via SPDIF to the receiver. Regardless of how it is being received from any source the TV down converts the audio it sends out via SPDIF to 2 channel stereo.

This is my bedroom setup and as such a full 5.1 surround isnt really needed (but if everyone says I should I can run the other speakers, it is just easier without)

This leads to my question, which would be the better setup audio wise for watching blu-rays/movies (pictures are below)?

1. Computer>mobo sound card>Logitech Speakers
2. Computer>SPDIF>Receiver>Home Theater Speakers
3. Computer>HDMI>TV>SPDIF>Receiver
4. any other suggestions not requiring tons of other equipment :D

002-1.jpg

005-1.jpg
 
1 or 2 should be fine. The point of HDMI is to have lossless audio at multichannel, anyways. Since you're using entry-level components, it doesn't really matter. Just connect however you feel is comfortable.
 
1 or 2 should be fine. The point of HDMI is to have lossless audio at multichannel, anyways. Since you're using entry-level components, it doesn't really matter. Just connect however you feel is comfortable.

Besides the receiver (which was replaced in the main room by a Integra 5.9) how do you rate the speakers I purchased? I know they are not "audiophile" grade but for 150 for the pair did I do decent?
 
Last edited:
Gotta get a stand for that Polk on the right. Make it level with the left Polk.

I before E except after C: Receiver (in your sig). Sorry, I'm a writer. :p
 
Gotta get a stand for that Polk on the right. Make it level with the left Polk.

Yeah, its on my list, lol....I have just been debating which stands to get, the speaker is incredibly deep and I am not sure if I want to keep the sub where it is, or even keep it connected.

I before E except after C: Receiver (in your sig). Sorry, I'm a writer. :p

Thanks, I am one of those folks Spellcheck was created for :D
 
Besides the receiver (which was replaced in the main room by a Integra 5.9) how do you rate the speakers I purchased? I know they are not "audiophile" grade but for 150 for the pair did I do decent?

I guess...? There's definitely better, though. Like vintage Polk's or AV123's or Ascends, etc.
 
I guess...? There's definitely better, though. Like vintage Polk's or AV123's or Ascends, etc.

Given 150 for the pair and then 79 for the center what would you have done differently? I want to know for future reference so I can gauge my purchases later.
 
These are all used prices because I almost never buy audio equipment new anymore but:

Polk Monitor 5 series or 5Jr or 7 series

OR

AV123 ELT525M or X-LS

OR

Ascend Acoustics CBM 170(SE) (These are harder to find in the $150 price, but I have seen them, especially the classics... but the SE are much better.)

OR

Older Paradigm Titans or Monitors which I have seen sell for $150, easy. But usually they are the older models. But I would still take them over Polk Monitor 40.



NOTE: These are just Mini-Tower or Bookshelf size speakers. If you have room for towers, I would put down more.

Good centers are harder to find for cheap (Not sure why). Not sure that I have seen better. Good centers usually take at least $150, it seems to me. I guess it's similar to subwoofers in that respect since entry-level subs tend to suck balls. Going from a $200 budget to $400 budget for a subwoofer gives more than twice the sound, imo.
 
These are all used prices because I almost never buy audio equipment new anymore but:

Polk Monitor 5 series or 5Jr or 7 series

OR

AV123 ELT525M or X-LS

OR

Ascend Acoustics CBM 170(SE) (These are harder to find in the $150 price, but I have seen them, especially the classics... but the SE are much better.)

OR

Older Paradigm Titans or Monitors which I have seen sell for $150, easy. But usually they are the older models. But I would still take them over Polk Monitor 40.



NOTE: These are just Mini-Tower or Bookshelf size speakers. If you have room for towers, I would put down more.

Good centers are harder to find for cheap (Not sure why). Not sure that I have seen better. Good centers usually take at least $150, it seems to me. I guess it's similar to subwoofers in that respect since entry-level subs tend to suck balls. Going from a $200 budget to $400 budget for a subwoofer gives more than twice the sound, imo.

Thanks for that info. In the bedroom I do not have space for floor standing speakers. I acutally had a pair of R50's (I know they aren't the best) for this setup but they got switched to the main room due to size. I dont do too much movie watching in this room and as the pictures show the TV sits like 2 ft from the bed so soundstage wasnt as big an issue.

I am always interested in know what is better that is out there. My main Home Theater might be going through a refresh in a year and moving to 7.1. If that happens I will be shifting all my gear back one (Monitor 60's go from fronts to side surrounds, R50's move from side surrounds to rear surrounds) and purchasing a new set of fronts. When that happens I will be prob willing to throw down around 500 a speaker or more (looking as Polks LSi model line perhaps) so wanting to know what brands folks really seem to like here.
 
Well, at $500, you got a whole 'nother ball game. Lol. But the LSi series are an excellent choice. When you do have audio budget to throw around, let us know. :)

I love helping people spend their audio budget.
 
Well, at $500, you got a whole 'nother ball game. Lol. But the LSi series are an excellent choice. When you do have audio budget to throw around, let us know. :)

I love helping people spend their audio budget.

lol...sounds like my girlfreind. She loves to "help" me spend money on clothes...almost as much as she loves buying them for herself
 
If I recall, the LSi series are 4 Ohm speakers so you may need to get a robust receiver/amp for the set.
 
If I recall, the LSi series are 4 Ohm speakers so you may need to get a robust receiver/amp for the set.

My Integra amp can go down to 4 ohms...checked last week :D ...it also puts out around 175 watts to each speaker @ 4 ohms. Considering I havent even been able to watch a movie at max volume with my current setup this pleases me much :D
 
Back
Top