• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Sound Pops and Cracks

Joined
Feb 3, 2004
Messages
2
I just built a new system:
Giga-Byte GA8IPE1000-L Mobo
P4 2.6 Ghz 800 FSB
Sapphire 9600XT
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
40 Gig Seagate
80 Gig WD
DVD-RW
CD-RW

It all is working great, breaking the normal benchmarks for a system of it's type... it is also basically untweaked, being only a few days old. The only imported component from my old system is the Turtle Beach (and monitor, mouse, etc). Now on to the problem...

I get faint pops, cracks, and in games I get static disruptions on sound. I have tried everything to isolate the cause including:
1. Tried both onboard sound and the Turtle Beach
2. Tried 2 different sets of speakers and directly plugging in headphones.
3. Tried the main output and the versajack output on the Turtle Beach.
4. I updated the Bios
5. I updated the mobo chipset drivers
6. I checked IRQ conflicts
7. I tried DirectX 8 but am now on DirectX 9.0b
8. I tried another power strip and another wall outlet

The problem persists on all of the above... even on the onboard sound. I'm at a loss as to what to try next or what the cause could be. My last guess is codec problems (but I don't know much about how to approach that) or a problem with the motherboard (again, how could I tell?). Thanks for any input... 90 percent of what I do on this system is music, games, or other sound related things. Thanks again. :)
 
turn each slider all the way down 1 at a time to isolate where its coming from. Mine does it when i have my tv tuner (and therefore my line in) turned up to high.
 
Each slider? As in the main volume control and the windows media player sliders?

edit: I tried lesser volume on the main sound control, on the wave out control, on media player, and tried turning game volume down. Contrary to what I thought before the popping and cracking noises are at the same volume level as the sound being played... if I can hear sound it has the interference. :(
 
Back
Top