• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Sound Card + USB Headset question

GibsonEX

Gawd
Joined
Feb 21, 2008
Messages
680
Like the title said, i have USB Headset, my old Plantronics GameCom Pro1 which i believe has it's own onboard sound processing. I'm using P35 mobo's Realtek audio right now, and i was thinking about getting nice sound card for gaming.

Would my headset's onboard processing interfere with sound card/ does it make sense for me to get sound card at all with this headset?

Don't know much about audio/sound cards... Thanks :)
 
when I had a usb headset, and I have an X-Fi sound card, I couldn't take advantage of the sound card with the headset because I would have to set the default audio device to the C-Media USB whatever... So I would have had to replace it with something that had 3.5mm jacks which is ok with me, I dont' have much use for actual headphones anyway... I use speakers connected to the X-Fi and USB headset for when I use ventrilo or something and don't want someone yelling over my speakers.
 
the headset uses its own sound chip, which is a USB interface device, it wouldn't interfere, although the soundcard won't do a damn thing in relation to the headset

so buying the soundcard would be worthless unless you're using speakers as well (like greatone's post mentions)
 
Yes, i do have 2.1 speakers, but when I'm gaming it's mostly with the headset/mic, so it's pretty much what i suspected, usb headphones are worthless with sound card.

Thanks for the help.
 
Yes, i do have 2.1 speakers, but when I'm gaming it's mostly with the headset/mic, so it's pretty much what i suspected, usb headphones are worthless with sound card.

Thanks for the help.

you could go with a non-USB headset if you wanted to get a soundcard, it will cost somewhat more, but you'll end up with a more flexible solution in the end

check Creative's website, they usually do some package deal with a headset and soundcard in the same box, sometimes its a good soundcard (for a time it was the X-Fi Elite Pro without the breakout box, and their Fatal1ty headset, boxed for $120-$130 with shipping (if that isn't a good deal, I don't know what is))
 
Back
Top