Sound card for a Studio Computer

Morazl

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 13, 2003
Messages
1,147
I currently have a customer who has a studio and needs a soundcard that has all sorts of inputs/outputs, I'm not looking for any kind of audigy because those soundcards are not meant to be for studio recording and whatnot.

If anyone has any kind of insight or knowledge on what brand, or even where to get this please let me know. The budget is under 100$.

Thanks
 
can you explain the advantage of that other card? What is a breakout cable..?
 
I have however purchased that E-MU card for another customer sometime ago, he had no complaints about it, and uses it for the same thing. It seems like a nice card.
 
He has a studio, but only a budget of $100? Expand it to $15,000, get a Pro Tools HD 1, one or two 192 I/Os and a SYNC I/O.
 
Ok, let me go into more detail.

This individual has access to a studio. I do not know how nice of a studio it is, or any of that.

He is a local artist just trying to get a start, from the looks of the first recommended card, that should be fine.

$15,000 Pro tools HD is huge overkill and just a mind-boggle for what is going to be used for. Sure, it would be ideal in a professional studio where 15,000 could be considered chump change, but that is not the situation.

Sorry for not stating this earlier.
 
perhaps it would be better if you find out what kinds of ins/outs he needs. "all kinds" doesn't tell us much. A hint: If he requires XLR ins he's not gonna get it for $100.
 
What is a breakout cable..?

0404.jpg


That is what those two things hanging out of the card are called. ;)


On the 1212M you connect everything directly to one of the two cards:

emu1212m.png


(which is one of the reasons the 1212M performs a little better)
 
I have three m-audio sound cards and they are all nice. I have the following...

Audiophile 2496
Delta 44
Delta 66

This gives me a total of 10 analog inputs. Does he have a mixing board as well??
 
I was gonna suggest the M-Audio 1010LT. I was always told to get more input then you need at the time because you always run out of inputs. I am sugegsting this card becasue you can usually get them used for a relaly good deal and they have 10 inputs and 10 outputs everything from XLR to Midi.
 
I'd go for an M-audio USB or FireWire card, personally - PCI cards can sometimes pick up "system fuzz". Regardless, M-audio does have compatibility with just about everything, from Cubase to ProTools, and it's not too expensive. MOTU also makes nice stuff, except that you will likely need to take out a second mortgage to get it it - the cost of the Mac you'll need to actually use it is pretty minor.

I have an Edirol USB adapter that seems pretty nice - that said, I spent $8 on it. Regardless, if you need something cheap,you can get one of their external USB boxes with MIDI and XLR input/output for under $50 on eBay.
 
You have a point there. This is why the best gear is usually external. To keep away the EMI and RFI. Then I would say get the Delta 1010. I still have my sights on that bad boy. For my recording that is they have been dropping in price alot and are still considered top quality. Comapnies say the best way to get nice quiet noise floors for your recordings is to keep the ADC and DAC's external. Makes sense really the inside of a PC case is noisy in electrical terms. The MOTU gear is awsome but extremely expsnsive.
 
Thanks for all the replies, This will help me a lot in my buying decision.
 
Back
Top