Sorting Windows XP ALL PROGRAMS menu Alphabetically

Burner27

Supreme [H]ardness
This may sound dumb, but I like to have my programs under the ALL PROGRAMS menu in alphabetical order. I am not using the "classic" start menu and i know it has a sort button, but that's not what i need. Everytime i drag and drop them into alphabetical order manually, and then reboot...it gets out of sorts again. Is there a way to make it stick?

thanks.

Right click + Sort by Name
I don't see how that's "not what you need" -- it's alphabetical.

1. Open RegEdit
2. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder
3. Delete the MenuOrder key
4. Reboot

The above mentioned registry key will be recreated the very second you manually move something around in the start menu, thus disabling automatic sorting.

But right-clicking anywhere in the root "All Programs" menu will do exactlly what you want. It will sort folders first by alpha and then any single shortcuts by alpha.

stevewm said:
The above mentioned registry key will be recreated the very second you manually move something around in the start menu, thus disabling automatic sorting.

But right-clicking anywhere in the root "All Programs" menu will do exactlly what you want. It will sort folders first by alpha and then any single shortcuts by alpha.

Thanks, you hit the nail on the head!

lomn75 said:
Right click + Sort by Name
I don't see how that's "not what you need" -- it's alphabetical.

I meant under the CLASSIC MENU. The sort button under CLASSIC menu is not what I need because I don't want to use the CLASSIC menu. If you sort using classic and then revert back to the WinXP menu, it doesn't stay in alphabetical order.

Burner27 said:
I meant under the CLASSIC MENU. The sort button under CLASSIC menu is not what I need because I don't want to use the CLASSIC menu. If you sort using classic and then revert back to the WinXP menu, it doesn't stay in alphabetical order.
OK...? XP Start Menu still has right click + sort.

The XP new style start menu still has Sort as a option in the right-click menu. It works the same as it does when using the classic menu.

So you'll are just right clicking the "All Programs" button? I don't see it??? (The sort option!)

No, not on the button -- on the menu, where everything sortable is.

stevewm said:

Well fine, open regedit and set read only permissions on it.

Back