Sony VGN-FS530B Dead Backlight

woo.Designs

Limp Gawd
I purchased a Sony VGN-FS530B notebook last year for almost $2,000 and the backlight recently died. I called Sony and they told me that it would cost over $700 to repair. It's definitely not worth it. I looked for a backlight on eBay and such but I couldn't find one. Does anyone know where I can find a backlight for this model? If not, how much could I get for it if I sold it as broken?

Most LCD's these days have the backlights integrated into the panel. Which means you can't replace just the backlight so $700 is the price for replacing the whole LCD panel. You might be able to do some research and find a replacement panel yourself, order it, and install.

My suggestion would also be to get a panel off of eBay and get a professional to install it so it doesn't get done incorrectly. A lot of companies monopolize their panels because they're worth so much.

-Graham

First off do you know the backlight is dead or does it just not come on?

First thing I could do is test or replace the inverter.

You can replace the cathode in the screen but it is not fun. The cathode would prob cost less then 40 bucks(prob a lot less) but finding someone to install it may be hard. If you are good you could do it yourself.

Back