Sony 8X DVD+/-RW for $100.85 FINAL charge @ Staples

Zap [PCGO]

Limp Gawd
Thanks to Ableshoppers for this. I've been waiting around for a deal like this so I'll share it here with you guys (at least those who don't visit ableshoppers).

Model: DRU 530A

Drive: $179.98
- $30.00 (instant $30 off $150)
-----------
$149.98
+ $10.87 (tax in CA)
-----------
$160.85 (pay up front)
- $30.00 (MIR from Sony, original UPC)
- $30.00 (MIR from Sony, copy UPC)
-----------
$100.85 (FINAL charge)

Free Shipping

Here's the drive:
DVD RW Drive

Here's the $30 off $150 code: 35888

Sony rebate (print out and mail in w/ original UPC Expires: 07/03/2004 ):
Sony rebate

Sony rebate (do online then print out and mail in w/ copy UPC Expires: 03/31/2004 ):
Sony rebate
For this rebate, you will receive an email confirmation about the model DRU510A or DRX510UL, but don't worry, if you look at your print out rebate form under "Promotion Details," you will see that the DRU530A is included in the offer.

haha, that's odd. I just received the email from the Sony rebates:

"We just wanted to let you know we have received your rebate submission for Sony DRU510A or DRX510UL - $30 Rebate."

Haha, funny. This is the rebate that I did online. It's still pending because I need to mail in my UPC. I guess the model of the drive is one of the mentioned in that quote, not the 530A one? o_O

wtf? hahaha, 2 rebates offered at Staples.com on the same item.... carries different model number... what's going on here?

EDIT: By going to Sony.com, I looked up the 530A model and it's the only one that matches the image shown on Staples.com.

EDIT2: Worry not. I did a bit of research and find that both rebates are valid for this drive which IS the DRU530A. The rebate that has DRU530A written all over it obviously has no need to worry about. As for the one that I received the confirmation email about, IT DOES INCLUDE THE DRU530A MODEL. Here it is:

"Promotion Details:
Receive $30 mail-in rebate following purchase of a DRU510A, DRU530A or DRX510UL model Sony Dual RW DVD Recorder. Offer valid on purchases of eligible products from August 1, 2003 through March 31, 2004."

so I wonder how this unit compares to the Lite On 811S?

Originally posted by ozziegn
so I wonder how this unit compares to the Lite On 811S?
I don't have an 811s, but now I have the sony drive :p
I added it to my cart from the site, added the coupon, and then printed my cart. Went into the store, had them price match their own web site and completed my purchase. I won't use the drive until my Shuttle SB75S arrives :D
ozziegn if you have the 811s we could compare drives, and shuttles ;) a little [H] meeting and review if you will.

dont forget that Staples is also having a 12% off customer appreciation thingy this week.

see here

the coupon states that it isnt valid with any other offers like other coupons but I havent had any problems in the past when using coupons plus this deal at their B&M stores.

how would I use this with the coupon? I guess I'd have to return the drive and re-purchase it? or do you think I could just take the card in and get the refund?
edit: I just called in the staples I purchased the drive at today and ended up talking with the lady who rung me up, she said that a dollar off coupon can not be combined with 12% off, and sure enough thats pretty much what the coupon says in the fine print. If theres something special I have to do let me know, but I'm pretty happy to have this burner for $100 once my rebates come back.

here's whatcha do.

(obviously) go to a different Staples with the 12% printed coupon and tell them that you recieved it in an email AFTER you bought the drive and you want the 12% taken off.

if/when they say it cannot be combined, tell them that you'll just return the whole thing if they dont do it. most of the time they'll give in when situations like that come up.

They gave me a rebate form in the store, and it seems to be different than both of these other rebates. I'm going to send in all three and see what happens.

Back