SonicPoint-Ne Dual-Band

shekkery

n00b
We don't actually have an IT person for work, so sometimes I end up being this person at my job (apologies if my questions are dumb).

Long story short, our router is dying (ASUS Dark Knight) and we're trying to unify similar equipment in two of our locations. (Our New York team uses SonicWalls, and we're going to mimic them for future expandability).

Our current setup is we have a router --- > Edgewater 4550 switch for our VoIP calls -- > access point (Dark Knight in AP mode).

Would subbing in a SonicPoint-Ne Dual-Band for the access point work for this setup? Is this a simple plug and play? I just don't want to purchase 600 dollars of equipment and find out it didn't work as planned. I can't find much documentation on SonicWalls, so I'm wondering - would this cover a 3000 square foot office?

Thanks!

Without a site survey I can't say if the Sonicpoint will work or cover your office well but I can comment on how you set them up and the general process involved.

Your SonicWALL firewall (TZ2xx and newer) also acts as a wireless controller for Sonicpoint devices. After a couple setup steps...

1) Provision a Sonicpoint zone that is wireless zone on your SonicWALL
2) Assign a port on your SonicWALL to the newly created Sonicpoint wireless zone
3) Plug your Sonicpoint into the port you provisioned for the Sonicpoint zone
4) Under the Sonicpoint tab on your SonicWALL you should see the newly plugged in AP as being available to manage. Here you are able to setup the SSID's and security features

That is the setup in a nutshell. If you are looking to setup corporate and guest networks I would be more than happy to assist as it only adds a couple more steps :)

Regarding coverage in moderate office environments (i.e. generally open with cubicles and such) if it is positioned well in a central location you should be OK. Just to note that a single access point will probably only work well for 25-30 devices on a single band.

Thank you for your help!!!

You mentioned the SonicWall fireall, and this is something I'm a little worried about. If we buy a SonicWall access point ... do we necessarily need to buy a SonicWall firewall too? Our current VoIP setup would never work with a SonicWall (at least to someone that doesn't really know what he's doing)

IE. Can I just buy this http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/926095/SonicWALL-SonicPoint-N-Dual-Band-Bundle/

without any additional SonicWall products and have it work as a standalone access point fine?

Yes you can, please see the Youtube video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yapn81kDwLU

As the SonicWALL is the controller if you decide to add more than one Sonicpoint to your environment it would then work more effectively with the SonicWALL as it does the hand offs between AP's and such.

For a single deployment it will work fine though :)

Setting up a SonicWALL for VoIP takes a couple steps but is very straight forward. Most over complicate the deployment but all it takes is a basic firewall rule and UDP timeout increase on anything that matches SIP traffic :)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back