sonata

It's a little strange..

It's mounted on the inside edge of the hard drives....

so it goes like this, from the outside:

outer panel -> filter -> hard drives -> fan

you can probably see the mounting holes there.

look up some reviews for pics, just google for "sonata review"

(edit) in fact, you can see two of the mounting holes in your pic, one is just above the top hard drive tab loader thing that you use to secure the hds with, and the other is just behind a molex plug, a few inches below

Would that fan be good for blowing out of the front of the case, or sucking in through the front?

On one hand you've got the heated air from inside the case going over the hard drives, on the other you've got the cooled air being heated by going over the hard drives and then into the already heated case.

sucking from the front, helped by the back pressure created by the 120 in the back. if you point it blowing towards the front you'll negate the cases thermal properties.

-esr

Originally posted by esr2
sucking from the front, helped by the back pressure created by the 120 in the back. if you point it blowing towards the front you'll negate the cases thermal properties.
Ahhh, I wasn't aware of typical flow patterns within cases... still haven't read anything about it.

I suppose you could also use a strip of wider rubber door molding to seal the drive cage to the door of the case, as well, to get a little better seal and hopefully flow a little more cool air into the case.

thanks guys, im going to grab a cheap 120mm fan, most likely one of the led fans from svc.com, ill also grab a sunbeam controller while im at it.

I dunno what exactly you're intent is with the sunbeam controller, but be aware that the antec has a low voltage lead left just for the extra 120mm fan.

If you want i'll take some pics of the fans and the lead if that helps (apparently I take ok shots, as antec links me off their sonata site ;-)).

-esr

i would but i tucked those cables behind my mb, which now has everything mounted and would rather not take it appart again :eek:

Back