Something weird happening with Vista firewall

HOCP4ME

2[H]4U
I've been running Vista 64 + IE 7 for over a year now without issues.

Now, just a few days ago, Windows Firewall seems to have forgotten all of my program exceptions. It keeps asking me to allow programs that I've used for months (i.e. Adobe Flash, IE 7, Windows Media Player...). The last time I had to allow these programs was immediately after installing SP1 about a month ago. I have no idea why Firewall suddenly wants me to confirm all of my programs again.

Also, other weird things have been happening. For example, I just went to a website that uses Java and it claimed that I don't have Java installed. I do have Java installed (for over six months) and I've used that website several times without issue in the past. I went to reinstall Java, but the automatic installer failed, which is also strange.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be happening with my system?

I'm wondering if you have something wonky in the firewall settings. You don't have to add IE7, Flash, Media Player, etc to the firewall as exceptions for them to work properly.

HaHa, gotta hate Vista.

I lost all of my network machines once the SP1 update hit. Needless to say I had to rebuild the network (workgroups) all over again.

Bummer you got hit another way.

I had exactly the same issue, vista firewall forgot which programs i allow, like MSN Messenger and a couple of games..very weird, just did it once,

I clean installed Vista, patched to SP1..two weeks later the issue

It did forget a few exceptions after I installed SP1, but now, about a month later, it has forgotten them again, at a seemingly random time.

Not to mention I had been using SP1 RC1 for several months without this issue.

Back