Something died. And died BAD

shadowbreaker513

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Feb 15, 2005
Messages
1,410
I had a thread on this problem but I found some other things out. Enough to start a new topic.

Last friday, I was playing Halo when my computer locked up. Stayed that way for about 10 seconds, then went back to playing as normal. I didn't think much of it, as one of the reasons I was playing was for an overclock stability test. I exited the game a short while afterwards, as it obviously wasn't stable. I went to browse around online a bit before I went to bed. An hour later, the computer locked up completely again. This time it didn't unfreeze. I was too tired to troubleshoot and went to bed (3AM). The next morning, I decided to do some cable tidying in my case (10AM-11AM). I fixed everything up, and went to turn my computer back on. I thought it was fine, as the fans, cold cathodes, and HDD light came on. Nothing came on the moniter however. I immediatly thought it was a video card problem, so I swapped out my video card with a Radeon 9250. Same problem. I thought my RAM was the problem and switched it was a spare 128mb PC2700 stick I had. Same problem. I thought it was an overclock gone wrong and reset the CMOS. Same problem. Thought something was wrong on the IDE channels, and unplugged the CD drives. Same problem. Considered the fact that it may be a power problem, and unplugged everything except the hdd, motherboard, and used the 9250 video card. Same problem. I thought it was the motherboard, even though I got no error beeps. I took out the RAM to see if the motherboard could beep. I got the error beep fine. No blown or leaking capacitors either. I've narrowed it down to either the processor or the psu. Any idea which one it could be? If it is the processor, is my warrenty shot? I would like to know for sure it is the psu before I go and spend $80 on a new one. The processor was at 2301Mhz w/ 210fsb.

Please help me. This is the third time in a month my computer has been out of commision.


On a side note, would the fact that I accidently drove 12v through the ground on a floppy drive a few weeks ago have anything to do with this? The computer refused to start after that, but worked fine after I let the capacitors drain.
 
Nope. All I have are old dell/gateway power supplies, and an old 235w Hipro. I have no idea what happened to the 480w Axio that came with the case.
 
Reset CMOS?

and 11x210 is a weak oc I dont think it killed it.......... :rolleyes:
 
If you end up needing a PSU, PM me before you buy. I've got a 550w OKIA laying around I'd let go fairly cheap. :)

My personal thought is that it might be the Proc, though... do you get an error beep withthe proc out?
 
Also keep in mind that -- unless I missed something -- it could be the monitor. I've heard stories of monitors doing whacky things like freezing, stuttering or any number of other things before they die. Try the monitor on another computer, if you can.
 
Back
Top