someone recommend a rack for me...

I have bee on firefold.com looking at racks, and I don't know what to purchase. I am completely remodeling my basement and plan to install a 24 port patch panel in the rack. I will have a switch, router, and cable modem. The modem, router and switch will stand up vertical. All are about 6 inches high. I can build a cabinet out of wood to hold the rack frame. since it is in the basement, I don't think it is a good idea to leave it completely open (moisture and bugs). Is there a size (U)? that I should get? How deep? Give me all advice you can. :) Anyone using the Leviton SMC system?

actually my first thought would be to hit up ebay. Search for rack equipment and then add the search element of distance from your zip code. A lot of rack equipment is expensive when it's new but once it's time to get rid of it, it's usually too heavy to ship that far and takes up a lot of space in people's shops so they're usually pretty anxious to get rid of it quickly. If you offer to drive over and "take it off their hands" they will usually be grateful. I've managed to stock my garage with quite a bit of rack mount equip and cabinets this way. Just keep and eye open for it. Good luck!

Back