Some ideas, if you please

DJFatben

n00b
So, I've got this case.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-124-104&depa=0
On the right side, I'd like to make a good custom window shape with an etching in it. I've never cut out aluminum before, nor have I etched, but I feel very comfortable with a dremel so I've got high hopes. My problem is that I haven't decided what I want the custom window shape to be, nor have I decided on the etching. I'm thinking I'd like the window to look like an ordinary window on the left and have a silhouette of something on the right. Now what I'm looking for is ideas. I've got tomorrow and the next day off and hopefully I can finish the bulk of this project then (I have a number of other ideas in the works, we'll see where they go). Sorry for no pics of my own, I'm at work right now.
Until next time!
Ben

Try this shape, you can fit a 80mm or a 120mm on the middle left. the periods are spaces. 76mm hole saw works great for 80mm. for a 120mm hole use a CD to trace.

...).............|
---..............|
|................|
|_________|

Lots of masking tape over the areas to ensure there won't be any slips. After the cut, use the grinding bit to get rid of the rough alum, and preferably some 400 grit sandpaper to finish it off.

FrostBite said:
Try this shape, you can fit a 80mm or a 120mm on the middle left. the periods are spaces. 76mm hole saw works great for 80mm. for a 120mm hole use a CD to trace.

...).............|
---..............|
|................|
|_________|

Lots of masking tape over the areas to ensure there won't be any slips. After the cut, use the grinding bit to get rid of the rough alum, and preferably some 400 grit sandpaper to finish it off.

I was actually thinking of something more elaborate, like a more involved silhouette. I'm comfortable enough to do like a silhouette of a face and have detail inside, I just need good ideas. I wouldn't mind having "floating" aluminum on the plexi window either. I'd just like a good design that integrates whatever etching I decide on well.

Back