Solution to not stretch 4:3 games on a widescreen

zzz

Gawd
I've seen a few threads where people are asking how to not stretch 4:3 games with their particular monitor. I found a low level solution I'd like to share, and it should work with any hardware with any game.

1. Download or buy the program PowerStrip.
2. In PowerStrip go to Display Profiles, Configure.
3. Choose the resolution you want to affect and click "Advanced timing options".
4. On the left half of the screen, modify the screen shape to be 4:3; click OK.
5. Set the resolution back to your normal desktop setting; click OK.
6. Keep PowerStrip open in the tray, and whenever a game runs with the resolution you affected, PowerStrip will override it and make it 4:3.

i'd love to do this... because i've also read this somewhere else before. The problem is, whenever I get to the adjustment screen and press any arrows (to resize the screen) it breaks it into slices, and I can barley read it to resett it.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? Could someone tell me exactly what to do to resize the screen to 4:3? I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong...

Hmm... i'm an ATi user. I was just wondering if anyone else has tried this solution using PowerStrip.

For some reason the mobile ATi drivers (for laptops only) allow you to size images to scale, i don't know why ATi hasn't included that in their normal desktop drivers...

ValeX said:
I can't figure out how to solve this problem using Powerstrip. Help?
You'll obviously need to give some details on your problem... :confused:

When I try to adjust the size of the screen it just flickers and remains the same size. How do I keep it from doing this? I have an ati card if thats important to this problem.

So do all newer nVidia cards avoid this problem? I have no problem chucking my eBay-bought X800 in favor of a 7600GT or something.

you don't need powerstrip to fix aspect scaling in games on a widescreen ... both the nvidia and ati drivers do it for you. i've had both an nvidia card and an ati card since i've had my dell 2007wfp and i can promise you the options are there in both sets of drivers.

icetrey47 said:
you don't need powerstrip to fix aspect scaling in games on a widescreen ... both the nvidia and ati drivers do it for you. i've had both an nvidia card and an ati card since i've had my dell 2007wfp and i can promise you the options are there in both sets of drivers.
That's right, and here is a better list of solutions to this problem: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1111956

Selecting the "use centered timings" on in my driver doesnt seem to to anything, and powerstrip wont let me change the size. How can I fix this or is there another method to change the aspect ratio?

My 2407FPW doesn't stretch 1280x1024...it puts black bars on the sides to keep the proper aspect ratio. I'm using the latest nVidia drivers.

Back