soldering....

intogamer

2[H]4U
how do you properly solder something....

it just won't melt.... the iron is so hot that is becomes brown =( a bit

=(

You need to supply some more information; here's some possible solutions:

A. The item you are soldiering does not adhere to soldier (i.e. nickel, chrome, stainless); try using some flux.
2. The item is coated with lacquer or acrylic to prevent it from corrosion. Use an Exacto knife to scrape it off first.
11ty-14. You are applying soldier to the wrong surface. Use the iron to heat up the object and apply soldier directly to the object, not the iron. Soldier flows to the heat source.
Banonos. Let the soldiering iron heat up before using it to soldier. Some irons take longer than others...

intogamer said:
how do you properly solder something....

it just won't melt.... the iron is so hot that is becomes brown =( a bit

=(

First guess- you need some flux..

Next, heat the parts you are soldering and melt the solder on the parts.

soldering a wire wrapped with plastic to a strip

soldering wire to laptop backlight

intogamer said:
I soldered it before for like a minute...
Did you damage the component you're soldering with all that heat?

hmmm... it didn't work

I need soldering wire... can I just like a short strip for cheap?

Just buy some solder, you want fluxed core. There's no wire that will just melt, the temperatures are fairly low.

Crap I bought it before I viewed this thread

Radioshack .22dia 1.5oz 62/36/2
High Tech Rosin-Core
Silver-Bearing Solder

opened it already.... you think I can exchange?

You can use that. Really though, there is no need for silver bearing solder. 63-37 solder is good to work with.

biggest mistake people make when soldering is using a iron that is to hot for the job. for bench soldering a 25 to 40 watt iron is good in the field a 60 watt iron is what is needed. I use a butane iron that about 70 watts if I turn it up all the way but 70 watts really just evaporates the solder away its so freakin hot.

Doesnt most solder have fluz mixed into it allready, well the stuff I use does anywho.

Plumbing solder, wouldnt that be VERY hard to melt a rod that has that large of a diameter?

Plubming solder/flux isn't anything special. But typically the solder is lead free, has a larger diamater and doesn't have a flux core. The flux is used separately and is water soluble (white stuff) not rosin (brown color) like in electronics.

Back