Software to lockdown computer

brisk

Limp Gawd
Hey,
I was wondering is a software that could limit the computer usage?
Such as no music, no video, no games, etc.

Something that can be pushed out from the server and the employees cannot touch.

I want to compare this software with GPO.

Thanks.

What kind of environment is this computer in? Just by itself? Is it running Windows, Linux, Mac? Is it in a Windows Server Environment?

GPMC and locked down profiles work ok but certain programs still install (myspace messenger is the devil)

There are tons of products out there that do this. In my current environment we use a product called centurian guard. Works great, lock the computer down, every time it reboots it goes back to the state we locked it down in... no way in hell anything can get installed. Only downside is that you have to install a piece of hardware in the computer itself off the Floppy drive. But the rest of it is networked back to a piece of control software.

You could use something like windows steadystate from microsoft. I dont think it prevents the installation of anything, but on reboot the machine is wiped back to the original configuration.

it is running windows.
i know GPO would do it, but more in depth...
What exactly is the profiles?

also i guess my interpretation of lockdown was wrong.
i meant so users can't do anything such as installing and music and videos...etc

MrGuverment...did you think of it? lol

thanks again!

[H]exx;1032774046 said:
Where I work we use DeepFreeze for keeping an image state. It's only like $30 a license I think.

Yeah same, it doesnt matter what they install, upon restart of the computer, all those changes will be rolled back. If you are just worried about programs that shouldnt be on the computer, then this will work great. If you want the users not to install anything cause you dont want them to do something else other than work, then you will need to apply some kind of GPO.

GPMC and locked down profiles work ok but certain programs still install (myspace messenger is the devil)

I've stopped fighting it. My remote clients aren't connected to the HQ network in any way (really not much of a need to...), and they're always installing that shit. Naturally, at any of my visits, it all comes off though.

OP: Would that rollback software work? It's mainly ideal for demo units or things like that, that you want the users to see how things work, and if they jack it up, it doesn't matter... Because when you reboot it doesn't remember any settings that were changed.

thanks for the replies.
i will look into the deep freeze thing.
since i can always push it so that those workstations will restart every week.

thanks!

[H]exx;1032774046 said:
Where I work we use DeepFreeze for keeping an image state. It's only like $30 a license I think.

thats it! they also have another program to stop installers and such from running instead, deepfreeze is great, in that when you reboot it restores everything back to before, but if your on a network and say a virus gets through there go any other systems on your network!

[EDIT] the other program i Anti-Executable

http://www.faronics.com/html/AntiExec.asp

works like a charm, you decide what exe can run and can't, it scans a computer shows all executables, you can pick and choose what to run and what not too and what to do if someone tries to even download an EXE file or MSI file :) i have it on our support computers and works flawless!

deep freeze's company faronics also has a product called win select.
is that basically just like GPO but more user friendly?

Back