Memory = 6GB OCZ DDR3 1333
Video = Asus EAH4890
Sound = Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
BD-Rom = Sony Optiarc BC5100S
HDD = Hitachi HDS721010KLA
PSU = PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610
Monitor = Asus VK266H
OS = Windows Vista Ultimate x64 SP2

I'm also running the monitor through an Avivo HDMI cable. Presumably I now have components at every step in the chain for decrypting and playing back HDCP movies.

I'm just wondering what software I need to be able to play Blu-Ray discs? I don't care if it can rip/copy/burn discs. I don't care if it has fancy HTPC features. I don't care if it has HD-DVD support. I just want it to reliably play back Blu-Ray movies at full quality when I rent them from the local Blockbuster.

I'm not seeing anything for free so I'm guessing I'll have to make a purchase. Before I shell out the $60 or so for a decent program I'd really like to hear your opinions here on [H]ard|OCP since I trust you guys more than whatever comes up on Google. So with that in mind what software would you recommend that I buy for playing Blu-Ray discs?

Thanks,
Alex

Thanks for the suggestions! After a bit of reading I decided to go with Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre 3 Platinum. So far I've watched Indiana Jones & I Am Legend without any difficulties. The resolution is awesome! :)

MPC will play the file straight off the disc. And its free. Wont get menu's. But it will play the movie.

I bought an OEM drive that didn't come with any software. The first thing I tried was Media Player Classic along with the latest CCCP codec pack, but it wasn't able to recognize the disc. I hadn't heard of MPC-HC, but maybe that'll work for somebody else out there! I stand happy with my purchase of TotalMedia Theatre 3 Platinum. :)

Nothing will work without decrypting the disc first unless you have access to BD+/AACS.

I bought an OEM drive that didn't come with any software. The first thing I tried was Media Player Classic along with the latest CCCP codec pack, but it wasn't able to recognize the disc. I hadn't heard of MPC-HC, but maybe that'll work for somebody else out there! I stand happy with my purchase of TotalMedia Theatre 3 Platinum. :)

Don't worry, you made the right choice. To be able to use MPC-HC, you have to purchase AnyDVD HD, which is more expensive than TotalMedia Theatre 3 Platinum, to decrypt the disks.

Don't worry, you made the right choice. To be able to use MPC-HC, you have to purchase AnyDVD HD, which is more expensive than TotalMedia Theatre 3 Platinum, to decrypt the disks.

All preference really. Some people don't like bloated apps like those. And MPC-HC is pretty beast for how lightweight it is. Anyways glad you found something op.

All preference really. Some people don't like bloated apps like those. And MPC-HC is pretty beast for how lightweight it is. Anyways glad you found something op.

I personally use the AnyDVD HD + MPC-HC combo to watch Blu-Rays, but occasionally I do run into problems. For example, not too long ago MPC-HC couldn't handle some DTS audio properly (it was making popping sounds). I knew that I could simply set ffdshow to decode the DTS within MPC-HC, but the average user wouldn't know how to do that. I just think AnyDVD HD + MPC-HC can be a bit complicated for someone who just wants to play their movies without fuss.

Back