Socket P for Firewall - throttling issue?

iroc409

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a spare T9400 CPU laying around, and 4GB RAM. I am kinda stuck with the CPU, so I was thinking of changing over my E3300 firewall to the T9400. I could put it in one of those tiny mini-ITX boxes so it would save a lot of room, and *hopefully* save some power as well.

I was looking at a MSI Industrial GM45 board from Logic Supply, which is about the same price as the Supermicro Atom board that a lot of people are using for firewall. The board has dual on-board Intel GigE NICs, and would be about perfect. The T9400 would probably have substantially more horsepower than the Atom.

However, I've read with some of the G945/965 boards, MSI does not support CPU throttling in Linux. Apparently, they are not particularly concerned about it either. This means the CPU would constantly be at full throttle.

I am not sure how that translates to the E3300 (which is 32nm, I think), but it seems that would be rather inefficient.

Does anyone have any experience with these mini-itx MSI industrial boards? Would it be worth the cost to miniaturize my G31/E3300 system? Would I be better off trying to find a mini-ITX board for the E3300?

No experience with these? Doesn't entirely surprise me, it's a bit of an obscure part.

Maybe I should use it and just build a mini HTPC, when we upgrade our TV.

Back