So Many Speakers!

djfunz

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 2, 2007
Messages
161
Wow! I must admit, this is the topic i am most confused on. My first custom build is finally finished and i'd like to purchase a nice new 5.1 speaker set up. My uses will be gaming and music and some DVD watching. My Mp3 collection is very large ranging from 192kbps and 256vbr. Upon reading a lot of the posts here reguarding audio, it seems that you guys don't seem to like the HTIB computer speaker setups. I have an old 5.1 Altec Lansing set im using now that i bought with my dimension 8100 six years ago...lol. So my question is...based in my needs what are some speakers and amps you guys recommend? Some brands i know of are Klipch, Onkyo and AV123. But as far as specific spekers or optimum setups im clueless. Also theres a sub thats reviews very well on the internet but i can't remember the company that makes it. Please help this speaker noob :D
 
What is that you missing in sound that you have with Altecs? Go by your needs...
 
Budget and needs are your primary concerns in picking speakers. If your budget is decent, I'd recommend a nice set of Logitech Z-5500's or Edifier Super 5.1's and the Klipsche ProMedias are great too.

What's also important are inputs and connectivity, especially if your setup is your entertainment hub.
 
What is that you missing in sound that you have with Altecs? Go by your needs...

im missing the sound in my left speaker...it's blown! lol...and the wires are getting old as well and the sound goes in and out.


Budget and needs are your primary concerns in picking speakers. If your budget is decent, I'd recommend a nice set of Logitech Z-5500's or Edifier Super 5.1's and the Klipsche ProMedias are great too.

What's also important are inputs and connectivity, especially if your setup is your entertainment hub.

so your one that favors HTIB computer speakers? I've heard so many on this forum that suggest that computer speakers don't even begin to compare to picking out your own shelf components. As far inputs all the equipment i have is in my sig...that being onboard audio via my 680i.



I also suggest the Edifier 5.1's the are very nice and not alot of peopl seem to know about them.
http://www.edifier.com/eng2005/product/s0001_00.htm

these seem very nice...i've never heard of them. i checked pricegrabber and their not listed though.
 
so your one that favors HTIB computer speakers? I've heard so many on this forum that suggest that computer speakers don't even begin to compare to picking out your own shelf components. As far inputs all the equipment i have is in my sig...that being onboard audio via my 680i.

I will tell you this; a QUALITY dedicated component setup cannot be matched by any computer speaker setup, period. A quality computer speaker setup (Edifiers, z-5500's..etc.) is better than a cheap component setup, it just wouldn't be worth the price.

Don't buy a component setup just to have one. Make sure its quality components from respected manufacturers (Denon, Carver, Mark Levison, Marantz..etc..)These components do not come cheap and will cost as much and greater than your entire PC system possibly. Cost and size are the major limiting factor for a component parts dedicated PC setup.

Advice: Find a respected 5.1 desktop system and mate them with a nice soundcard and you won't be disappointed.
 
I wouldn't go that far, some of the new soundcards can easily compete with receviers for sound quality and some of the newer speakers systems such as Edifier with two way sats etc..are pretty much the same as speaker system you would buy for your home. You have to consider the price. Of course a multi thousand dollar system couldn't be comapred to by a $200 system. I have seen lots of really nice PC speaker systems that aren't even available in the US or Canada..they look exactly like HT gear and sound the same. If you have the cash of course get the HT gear..If not then atleast get one of the better sets of PC speakers. actually the Edifiers are more of a HTIB system.:cool:
 
I will tell you this; a QUALITY dedicated component setup cannot be matched by any computer speaker setup, period. A quality computer speaker setup (Edifiers, z-5500's..etc.) is better than a cheap component setup, it just wouldn't be worth the price.

Don't buy a component setup just to have one. Make sure its quality components from respected manufacturers (Denon, Carver, Mark Levison, Marantz..etc..)These components do not come cheap and will cost as much and greater than your entire PC system possibly. Cost and size are the major limiting factor for a component parts dedicated PC setup.

Advice: Find a respected 5.1 desktop system and mate them with a nice soundcard and you won't be disappointed.

I really didn't want to spend over $1000.00 on a component setup so the Z-5500's seem like a good bet. However since i only have onboard audio on my 680i would this suffice? Which sound card would you recommend to accompany the Z-5500's?
 
I wouldn't go that far, some of the new soundcards can easily compete with receviers for sound quality and some of the newer speakers systems such as Edifier with two way sats etc..are pretty much the same as speaker system you would buy for your home.


Which soundcards are you refering to? You seem very pro Edifier...how do you feel these compare to the Z-5500's?
 
There's only one thing that scares me about the Edifiers:
Satellite Speaker: RMS 25Wx6(@ fo=1kHz, 10% THD, 6 channels loaded )
A more realistic THD result (less than 1%), with a more realistic program (i.e., not a 1 kHz sine wave) would probably put the satellites in the range of 10 watts/channel, possibly less. I'm also not particularly sure why they're dividing by six here, when only five satellites should be driven.

Still, with the drivers ticking in at 8 ohms, that power rating doesn't actually concern me - I don't doubt the system's able to get plenty loud, past or around the 100dB range. My guess is that the 5500s may be able to get a bit louder, but at the possible expense of sounding, in typical Logitech fare, quite horrible. Typical listening volume is between 70-80 dB, so the "power factor" isn't worth worrying about.

I'm quite impressed by what appears to be Edifier's candidness, though. Note that they rated maximum power consumption much higher than the total rated output of the amplifier. This is a strong indication that these guys are not out to mislead you into a buying trap as many have been known to do.
 
Ok, I finally remembered that company that makes the really good subs. Nobodies mentioned the SVS SBS-01 system. It sells for about a grand which is about the most id be willing to spend. Would you guys consider this a quality component system? Based on my limited understading reading about these guys, they see to put together very high quality products for fairly affordable prices. It also looks like i would need a reciever with this system. How do you feel these would compare with the Z-5500's? They seem to have come out around the same time (2005ish) Right now these 2 models are what im leaning towards...please keep the input coming.

http://www.svsound.com/products-sys-sbs_black.cfm
 
There's only one thing that scares me about the Edifiers:

A more realistic THD result (less than 1%), with a more realistic program (i.e., not a 1 kHz sine wave) would probably put the satellites in the range of 10 watts/channel, possibly less. I'm also not particularly sure why they're dividing by six here, when only five satellites should be driven.

Still, with the drivers ticking in at 8 ohms, that power rating doesn't actually concern me - I don't doubt the system's able to get plenty loud, past or around the 100dB range. My guess is that the 5500s may be able to get a bit louder, but at the possible expense of sounding, in typical Logitech fare, quite horrible. Typical listening volume is between 70-80 dB, so the "power factor" isn't worth worrying about.

I'm quite impressed by what appears to be Edifier's candidness, though. Note that they rated maximum power consumption much higher than the total rated output of the amplifier. This is a strong indication that these guys are not out to mislead you into a buying trap as many have been known to do.



This system is actually a 6.1 with the rear center upgradable at a later date. Although the 6.1 media never really took off in any mainstream fashion. They are a 6.1 system sold as 5.1 upgradable.
 
I have the XR-55, and I would definitely recommend it -- fast, precise, detailed are characteristics of this receiver.

The XR-57 has a few other features for TV input, but if you're just setting up a basic stereo set, then the XR-55 is cheaper.
 
I definitely recommend separates but thats not to say that the Logitech Z5500 sounds bad.
Its in the eye (ear?) of the beholder for the most part.
If you havent heard a decent Hifi thats setup well, you wont know what you're missing and may not care (until you do hear one ;)).

Buy second hand parts, there are some incredible deals to be had.
I'm using Acoustic Energy speakers that cost nearly £400 new for just the front pair.
A complete surround set including the same fronts can be got for around £160 now from auctions!

A good thing about a Hifi, with just average speakers/amps you will be able to fill a large room with sound easily.
You can then position your Hifi around the Sofa / HDTV in the living room and have a superb comfortable experience with your feet up, Its great :D
If you move to a bigger house, you know your sound system will cope too.

A good subwoofer (that goes down to near 20Hz) adds another dimension to movies and music.
The subs that come with HTIB systems rarely go below 35Hz so arent as effective.
The sub will need setting up/placing well as parts of a room have less bass than others which varies with where you put the sub as well.
You might like one part of the rooms deeper bass feel/sound so much you'll move your sofa there, I did lol. I also found that I could turn the sub right down which can only be good for it and maybe the neighbors :)

FYI I'm using a REL Strata II sub which can be picked up cheap too if you're lucky to find one.
 
Back
Top