So I'm creating a 3d workstation....

Ubiquity said:
You no speaky the English?
He has a valid sentence...
atomo said:
Well, I'm glad I stay informed.
The main part is "I'm". Subject, verb. I am glad (implied that) I stay informed.

You, on the other hand... "Speaky" isn't a verb the last time I checked.

Not trying to get up in your face about it, but to mix a metaphor this is like the pepper calling the salt black. Or something like that.

unhappy_mage said:
He has a valid sentence...

The main part is "I'm". Subject, verb. I am glad (implied that) I stay informed.

You, on the other hand... "Speaky" isn't a verb the last time I checked.

Not trying to get up in your face about it, but to mix a metaphor this is like the pepper calling the salt black. Or something like that.

Here is a clue, just for you. The point was that his response made absolutely no sense given what he was responding to. He has, in this thread, consistently been wrong in his statements about the difference between a soft-modded consumer cards and their equivalent professional cards. When called on his lack of knowledge on the topic, he responds with "I'm glad I stay informed." It is a nonsensical response. Thus, I'm applying that he has a hard time understanding English. If you thought that I was attempting to use proper grammar then I think you may have some mental deficiencies.

One would think this would have been easy to understand.

Ubiquity said:
The point was that his response made absolutely no sense given what he was responding to. He has, in this thread, consistently been wrong in his statements about the difference between a soft-modded consumer cards and their equivalent professional cards. When called on his lack of knowledge on the topic, he responds with "I'm glad I stay informed."
I'm not disputing the main topic at hand; just the grammar used to discuss it. I agree that softmodding a card makes it exactly the same as the corresponding "professional" card, but completely missing his sarcasm and posting a response like he's serious doesn't help your case.
You didn't precisely call him on it, you said "Most people don't usually gloat about spending too much money for things because they're ignorant". He responded (basically) that *you* were the ignorant one, because it wasn't him - he believes he isn't paying too much and is therefore not ignorant.

That said, I agree with you, and I'm gonna drop the grammar issue. You shall see no more flamage from this corner. 'Kay? ;)

Ubiquity said:
He has, in this thread, consistently been wrong in his statements about the difference between a soft-modded consumer cards and their equivalent professional cards.

What exactly am I wrong about? I see no evidence that any of my statements are incorrect. OK, maybe you DO have a card that is dual-link DVI capable, but you never disputed that. I'm sure the grammar police can pick apart something in my sentence structure, but that's why I'm an artitst and not an English professor. If all you can attack is my grammar (which Mage pointed out was accurate in my previous post), then your argument in favor of softmod fizzles even more.

;)

wait a little longer for dual-core's if possible. a dual socket system with 2x dual core = 4 processors!!

And the whole pro/gaming card. The cards/chips/etc are the same. The BIOS/identifier string is different which prompts installation program to install different portions to the driver so it performs differently.

The drivers for the Professional cards render much more accurately and is why sometimes they take a hit in benchmarking games. So you can get a regular card and use Rivatuner and save $.

tomrow when I get home from school i will benchmark my 6800 ul then read up on softmoding and might do that if i can go back to my original driver.

what ever happened to mods that fly down from on high and slap around people who were both arrogant and ignorant

"my way is better because I beleive it be so, and your way sucks, loser"
when did this stuff become tolerated?

atomo said:
What exactly am I wrong about? I see no evidence that any of my statements are incorrect.
Well, I think I showed that you are wrong. You implied in your first post that performance was superior, which I showed was wrong, and when that didn't work you switched to argueing that functionality is better, which I showed wasn't true. I've used both, and functionality is the same, except the dual-link TMDS support. Atomo, do you have 2 30" Apple Cinemas displays? That is the only way in the world to take advantage of this feature.

So an update on things, in light of the forthcoming dual core goodness with the possibility of having 4 cpu's (god bless hyper threading so the potential for 8 is there too yes?) I am waiting on the upgrade until intel gets their shit together... in the mean time I'll be working off of my p4 3.2ghz and I've purchased a geforce 6800 and softmodded it into a quadro4000, gotta tell you, I am AMAZED... it was so easy to do and the performance bump in max is tangible... and if I need to game, it's just a couple of clicks and a reboot to make it work as a 6800, thanks for the input folks...

Mr. Tinker said:
Well, I think I showed that you are wrong. You implied in your first post that performance was superior, which I showed was wrong, and when that didn't work you switched to argueing that functionality is better, which I showed wasn't true. I've used both, and functionality is the same, except the dual-link TMDS support. Atomo, do you have 2 30" Apple Cinemas displays? That is the only way in the world to take advantage of this feature.

Actually, if you bothered to completely read through my posts, you would notice that at no time did I ever mention that performance was superior, and even pointed out that for games it will definitely be slower. As for functionality, unless someone wants to send me their 6800GT to softmod and compare side-by-side with my 3400, then I don't think anyone can really convince me that full functionality exists with a softmodded gamer card.

As for the 2 30" Apple cinema displays, I would actually need the 4400 card, because the 3400 could only suport one. The 4400 has two dual-link DVIports and the 3400 has a single link and one dual link.

Of course, by the time we're done arguning about it here, there should be a whole new crop of video cards from nVidia and ATi to scrutinize...
;)

atomo

i'm sure as others haven't been able to convince you i won't either but here goes anyway.

the 6800 and 3400 use the same chips. the 3400 gpu is identical, off the same chip fab and wafer as a 6800. one gets placed in a package labeled 6800, the other in one labeled 3400.

now here's the crazy part.
the 6600 is off the same fab and wafer as the 6800. they test em and some of them have issues with some pipes and they cut a register to shut half the pipelines off and weaken the memory controller with a register cut. then they place them in a package that reads 6600. sometimes there isn't a yield problem at all but 6600's have a higher market segment so they clip perfect 3400/6800's into 6600's.

this is dictated by economics. the gpu is manufactured by a third party, not nvidia. they pay for chip runs and decide what to do with the silicon after it's fabbed. eventually they run out of slightly bad chips and need to start cutting up good ones to fill a market segment. plain and simple there is no functional difference between a 3400 gpu and 6800 gpu. the rest is in the board layout and tmds/vga/tv options tacked on at the board level. physically the only real difference is the board components.

also if you are rendering in an app that only previews with hardware and then renders in software why bother spending money on a "pro" card anyway unless you are an engineer. the slight faults in aliasing and edge gapping from a worse game based driver render in preview mode won't show in your final render anyway.

so by your own logic you bought bragging rights only.
problem is in here no one is going to allow you to brag cause we know better than to waste $$ on something you can get for less. that's what the forum is about INFORMATION to assist someone. your spreading fud basically so don't be too surprised by a lack of supporters.

now if you needed the dual dvi on the 3400 then you'd need the "pro" card and could brag about the kickass video display you get to stare at all day and get a few ohhs and ahhhs. but you already said you don't need those.

wetware interface said:
i'm sure as others haven't been able to convince you i won't either but here goes anyway.
blah blah blah...

Well gee, thanks for the Chip Fab 101 lecture. Too bad it's all been said a dozen times on this thread (did you actually read all the posts? It seems people aren't doing that). And not to mention the fact that I NEVER CONTESTED that the 3400 and 6800GT were physically the same chip, off the same wafer even. So I'm a little confused what your rant about manufacturing was for, unless..wait... you didn't read all the posts in the thread before you started blabbering. I guess you thought I didn't already know all that. Thanks for looking out for me.

As for hardware renders with the video card, anyone who does 3D production knows how useful this is. Being able to pre-viz a shot that looks almost as good as a "final render" means better decision making for the production crew. Or how about motion graphics for TV? They may not look as good compared to a software render, but consider that they save a significant amount of time and are often good enough. Anyone who watches TV probably sees more of this kind of animation than they realize. As a professional, faster production of assets means faster turn-around on projects, which means more jobs a person can do and more money to make. If I'm paying extra $$$ merely for drivers that won't hiccup, then so be it.

I bought bragging rights to an increase in productivity. Sounds like a good deal to me.

As for spreading fud, forums are not just about information, but analyzing it and weighing it for yourself. I'm providing an alternate point of view. You've got your opinion, I've got mine. I happen to think your opinion is wrong, but hey... I'm entitled to do so, as are you. ;)

atomo said:
Actually, if you bothered to completely read through my posts, you would notice that at no time did I ever mention that performance was superior, and even pointed out that for games it will definitely be slower. As for functionality, unless someone wants to send me their 6800GT to softmod and compare side-by-side with my 3400, then I don't think anyone can really convince me that full functionality exists with a softmodded gamer card.

As for the 2 30" Apple cinema displays, I would actually need the 4400 card, because the 3400 could only suport one. The 4400 has two dual-link DVIports and the 3400 has a single link and one dual link.

Of course, by the time we're done arguning about it here, there should be a whole new crop of video cards from nVidia and ATi to scrutinize...
;)
imply<>mention

atomo said:
Well gee, thanks for the Chip Fab 101 lecture. Too bad it's all been said a dozen times on this thread (did you actually read all the posts? It seems people aren't doing that). And not to mention the fact that I NEVER CONTESTED that the 3400 and 6800GT were physically the same chip, off the same wafer even. So I'm a little confused what your rant about manufacturing was for, unless..wait... you didn't read all the posts in the thread before you started blabbering. I guess you thought I didn't already know all that. Thanks for looking out for me.

As for hardware renders with the video card, anyone who does 3D production knows how useful this is. Being able to pre-viz a shot that looks almost as good as a "final render" means better decision making for the production crew. Or how about motion graphics for TV? They may not look as good compared to a software render, but consider that they save a significant amount of time and are often good enough. Anyone who watches TV probably sees more of this kind of animation than they realize. As a professional, faster production of assets means faster turn-around on projects, which means more jobs a person can do and more money to make. If I'm paying extra $$$ merely for drivers that won't hiccup, then so be it.

I bought bragging rights to an increase in productivity. Sounds like a good deal to me.

As for spreading fud, forums are not just about information, but analyzing it and weighing it for yourself. I'm providing an alternate point of view. You've got your opinion, I've got mine. I happen to think your opinion is wrong, but hey... I'm entitled to do so, as are you. ;)

sorry but that was the first chip fab 101 i read in this thread...

and im no workstation user but id have to agree... same cores and a different bios and a few different resistors doesnt seem like its gonna make a difference...

So...uh..what about those GFs back in the day that were hardmodded to Quadros by soldering/desoldering hardware ID resistor patterns - that being the only change? Doesn't THAT prove that they're the same card?

Isn't the argument here 'Does a softmodded 6800 with the same chip offer the same functionality running the same drivers that a 3400 does?'

Obviously, that's true.

hahahahaha I sure did get a laugh out of this thread. You guys are all making yourselves look like total dickheads

beep...cleanup in aisle 'Multiprocessing Systems' needed...beep

atomo, you are so full of yourself I actually can't really believe that you're being serious. I have never seen someone so misinformed and certain of themselves. Please go read up on softmodding extensively before making any more posts about it, you're spreading misinformation and bullshit.

I believe anandtech did an article on softmodding lately which proved that paying for the gamer card and softmodding it owns buying the pro card. They said that there was 0 difference in functionality or performance.

If I was a mod I would have given you a week ban for your attitude in this thread

So, if I 3d apps are not a major priority to me(mission critical) I could softmod a 6800GT into a 3400 Quadro.

My question is, what are the differences between the two? Would the 6800GT then be dual link or would it need another TDMS?

Does anyone here have any problems with their softmodded 6800's?

Is there a list somewhere of successful softmodded 6800GT cards? Like is one brand better to do this than with another?

quasimodem said:
Our animators and CADD people and even our modellers all use the dell dualies. the precision workstations. say what you want about dell, but that dual xeon with a couple gigs of ram smokes, and if it ever dies, they're great about sending us repairmen.

QM

Just my $.02 by the way.

I'm looking at one of those myself... are they reliable? I was actually going to do what the OP was but I've decided its just as cheap to buy and you get a warrnty too.

Sheff said:
So, if I 3d apps are not a major priority to me(mission critical) I could softmod a 6800GT into a 3400 Quadro.

My question is, what are the differences between the two? Would the 6800GT then be dual link or would it need another TDMS?

Does anyone here have any problems with their softmodded 6800's?

Is there a list somewhere of successful softmodded 6800GT cards? Like is one brand better to do this than with another?

speaking of this, is the 6800GT the FX3400's identical cousin? what would the FX4400 be equivalent to and how much more powerful would it be than the 3400?

Quadro owner chiming in from the other side here and....
The hardware is virtually identical :rolleyes:

Mod a 5800 and you get my card. Game on my card and you get a 5800.

I got a great deal on it so I figured why not...the drivers are great, etc. Support is too..and that's what you'd generally be paying for more than anything.

But the hardware is no different (except my DDL's :D ).

Sorry bro.

I just ponyed up and spent the 1000 dollars for the quadro 3450...
My reasoning was that when I tried to softmod my 5900 ultra I ran into all sorts of issues with using the "correct drivers" and having to patch them.

I rely on my computer for designing things for my business, I need to know that upgrading to the latest drivers isn't gonna make me waste 8 hours reloading windows after the newer drivers wont allow hack "x" without running patch "y"

If you are a student, dont mind dinking around, or ultra cheap scape go for the softmod. If you need to use the computer as a tool and need reliability get the quadro...

BTW, you can not softmod the 7000 series gfx cards they figured out a way to stop the hacks. the 6000 series is probably the last softmodable card.

blkaplan said:
BTW, you can not softmod the 7000 series gfx cards they figured out a way to stop the hacks. the 6000 series is probably the last softmodable card.

It's been said before. Give it time.
It should be noted that since I last posted (with a legit FX2000), I now run a softmodded 6800GT @ 4000 'Ultra' without incident.

I run a legit FireGL X1 @ X2 in another box, and a softmodded 9800 @ X2 in another still.

eighteen_psi said:
It's been said before. Give it time.
It should be noted that since I last posted (with a legit FX2000), I now run a softmodded 6800GT @ 4000 'Ultra' without incident.

I run a legit FireGL X1 @ X2 in another box, and a softmodded 9800 @ X2 in another still.

With most PC things this is true but for now it is not and I wouldn't want someone to buy a 7800gtx and then be mad they couldn't softmod it because of advice i gave them...

blkaplan said:
With most PC things this is true but for now it is not and I wouldn't want someone to buy a 7800gtx and then be mad they couldn't softmod it because of advice i gave them...

True. :)

If I remember correctly, most workstations come in a cubic box, which is already 3d. Any run of the mill OEM can get one for you. :)

Back