Smoothwall - using a linksys router as the switch and AP

nighthawk101

Limp Gawd
Ive been messing around with smoothwall for a little bit now and have run into a problem. I want to use my linksys wrt54g as both my switch AND wireless access point. Is it possible to configure smoothwall to run like this? I have done some searching and have been unable to find answer for this.

Thanks.

you should be fine. just turn off the firewall and DHCP services on the router and plug a LAN port into the smoothie's GREEN interface. then plug in your other devices into the other LAN ports on the WRT.

So in that setup I would have something like this:

Cable Moden ---> Smoothwall ---> WRT54G ---> Wired Computers

Is this correct?

You'll also want to setup your IP addresses before hand...
By default, Linksys routers have a LAN IP of 192.168.1.1

Now, lets say you made your Smooties green IP the same..192.168.1.1...if you uplink them together...your network will, well, lets just say...it wont go very fast. ;)

So you'd want to make your router in the same IP range..lets choose a common IP address for access points...ending in .245 or .253. So after you've changed your Linky to 192.168.1.245, and your Smoothie is at 192.168.1.1....now you can link them together via LAN port on the Linky.

Well here is the problem I have now. I plugged the cable modem into the red on smoothwall and then plugged the #1 port in my wrt to the green. I then have a wired computer in #2. DHCP, WAN, and Firewall has been turned off on the wrt. My wired computer connects just fine to the internet, however I was unable to access the internet from my wireless laptop. I could access the wrt, but not the internet.

Also, I set smoothwall's IP to 192.168.1.1 and was unable to access it from a wired computer either.

Anyhelp here would be greatly appreciated.

kinda a dumb question but did you enable the wireless radio on the router? Also are you able to connect to the wireless on the router and get an IP address? Can you ping either the smoothwall box or the wireless router?

I used to do something like that with IPCOP and a dlink router, what I did first was to set up the wireless router and get my wireless devices connected. After that was all working i would then plug it into IPCOP (smoothwall for you).

Yes, the wireless radio is enabled. I was able to connect to the router and I got an IP (although I restarted my laptop in an attempt to make something work and could no longer get an IP after that). I could ping the wireless router and the smoothwall box but could only access the wrts admin page. I could NOT access the smoothwall box's page.

yes, wrt's ip is 192.168.1.245 and can be accessed. Smoothwall's ip is 192.168.1.1

From wired computers I was able to get internet access but I still was not able to access the smoothwall box by typing its ip... but I could ping it.

I run Wireless Routers all the time on my network with smoothwall and the like. Here is all I do.

-My smoothwall IP is 192.168.0.1
-I plug the Wireless Router into my computer directly, turn off DHCP and the firewall, change the IP to 192.168.0.X (X is a number that does not conflict with the DHCP range of smoothwall (usually 100-200) or any other devices, and reboot it.
-Then plug the green from smoothwall into one of the regular ports of the wireless router and you should be good to go. It will just act like an access point and pass DHCP requests through the smoothwall.

Yes, but I was giving you a basic rundown just to double check that is what you did. You might want to reset the Wireless Router back to factory defaults and try again just to make sure there was not a rogue setting set somewhere.

yeah, reset that router and start over again. you did plug one of the four LAN ports into the green on the smoothie right?

Huh? One of the four lan ports?

He needs to plug it into the WAN port on the router. That is if you want the Smoothwall modem to only act as a modem, and have the wrt54g router do routing, and dhcp.

^ Incorrect. He wants to plug the Green into one of the four LAN ports. the WAN isn't being used in this configuration.

Huh? One of the four lan ports?

He needs to plug it into the WAN port on the router. That is if you want the Smoothwall modem to only act as a modem, and have the wrt54g router do routing, and dhcp.

That is way wrong to do in this case. Smoothwall should do all the DHCP, routing, etc. unless you want to run a double NAT which is never good.

That is way wrong to do in this case. Smoothwall should do all the DHCP, routing, etc. unless you want to run a double NAT which is never good.

Smacks self.

Misread Smoothwall. I thought it was a Motorola Cable Modem, not the firewall.

Thanks guys! Ill try this out as soon as I get home and report back. What do you all think the problem with accessing the smoothwall box is? I can ping it, but typing in the IP to access the admin panel does nothing

Back