small uber-quality usb dongle

myren

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 4, 2008
Messages
255
Greetings;

I'm still suffering with my work laptop's crap audio output. I'd like a high quality USB sound card to plug headphones into. Some kind of amplification is needed, sometimes I use Grado's which require more than your average driver, and quality sound output is a serious want.

I'm tempted to go with the HeadRoom Total BitHead amplifier, but its only 96kHz/24bit. I'd like to go 192kHz, but I'm not aware of any USB sound cards that provide 192kHz other than the E-MU 0404, which is far too big and far more than than I need for a simple work/headphone unit.

Suggestions for where else to ask this admittedly niche question would also be a plus.

thanks,
myren
 
I'll look around for something matching what you want, but in the meantime, I would ask a Mod to change you're thread title to something that has a little more to do with you're actual topic. :D

24/192 IS kinda a high order for a USB DAC/Amp combo device. Are you willing to go with separates?
 
Well, the E-MU 0404 is $180, so if you can find separates for less price and smaller, I'm all game.

Suggestions for a better title? I'll fix up as per requests.
 
Ah, I was under the impression that you wanted something with a dedicated headphone amp aswell. If you are looking at the 0404, what about the 0202 for $130?
 
I am using the fubar 3 right now, great DAC/HP amp in my opinion. Really sounds good with the DT-770 250ohms. Swappable opamps was a plus as well. I dont know how well it par's with others, as this was my first.
 
I wanted to suggest the FubarIII but it only supports up to 48KHz.
 
Greetings;

I'm still suffering with my work laptop's crap audio output. I'd like a high quality USB sound card to plug headphones into. Some kind of amplification is needed, sometimes I use Grado's which require more than your average driver, and quality sound output is a serious want.

I'm tempted to go with the HeadRoom Total BitHead amplifier, but its only 96kHz/24bit. I'd like to go 192kHz, but I'm not aware of any USB sound cards that provide 192kHz other than the E-MU 0404, which is far too big and far more than than I need for a simple work/headphone unit.

Suggestions for where else to ask this admittedly niche question would also be a plus.

thanks,
myren

Is there a particular reason why you're on insisting on 192kHz? Do you have audio tracks with a 192kHz sample rate?
 
Back
Top