• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Small Active Subwoofer

skwhig

n00b
Joined
Apr 16, 2006
Messages
17
I recently got a couple M-Audio BX5a monitors for my computer and a M-Audio 2496 2 channel card, which sound great but lack bass. So I'm looking for a small active subwoofer that will blend nicely with my setup. All M-Audio offers is the SBX10 which is too much power (250) and price (400) for me.

I was looking at this Yamaha YST-FSW150, but I don't see how I would connect it to my setup. I expected outputs, I don't want extra hardware.
Y23-3032-out3-dw.jpg


Does anyone know of anything in the $200-250 range that would work for my setup?
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
im basically going to be running the same setup (just ordered the bx5a's today) and would also like some input.
 
I own the Dayton Elite 10" sub (150w RMS). It is an awesome subwoofer, unfortunately, I see that part-express no longer sells the Dayton Elites (designed by HSU). My Elite 10" works very well, providing bass beyond my expectations.

You should also consider the BIC Venturi 10" or 12" subs since the Dayton Elite is not available. The standard Dayton subs may be very good as well though. I am very happy with the Dayton BR-1 bookshelf speaker kit I purchased last spring. They make excellent PC speakers, and if they are any reflection of the quality of the standard Dayton sub, I wouldn't hesitate.

I don't think the Polk PSW110 would be better than any of the previously mentioned subs. I think it would be a waste of money just paying for the Polk name. I like Polk (all speakers for my home theater are Polk RTi and CSi), but I think the Dayton or Bic subs offer equivalent performance for cheaper.
 
I second the recommendation for the BIC subs. They were designed by Dr. Hsu of Hsu Research. BIC and Premier Acoustics have the value thing going for subs.

Stay away from that Yamaha sub. I've never heard it but looking at the specs and dimensions, I can tell you that it is a piece of shit.

Also, there really isn't such thing as too much power for subs. You can level match it to your mains, and a bigger sub with a bigger amp will mean you have less distortion and better bass with that headroom.
 
I like what I'm seeing in the BIC Venturi subs, my only reservation is that they aren't magnetically shielded and I plan on placing it near my computer. Does anyone know what distances unshielded woofers create problems?
 
Don't worry about anything unless you have a CRT monitor. I had a similarly sized sub next to my computer tower for months with no ill effects.
 
Ah, I forgot about BIC there. Definitely take a look at them. Audio Thug is correct, magnetic shielding will not be a problem.
 
Back
Top