Slow transfer speeds with 802.11n+GigE router

EricJD

Limp Gawd
Today I bought a Netgear WNR3500L because I'm sick and tired of the slow transfer speeds I'm getting with my aging WRT54GS.

My Windows 7 computer connected via a wired connection to the router is reporting the connection speed as 1Gbps. It's running an FTP server. When I try to download a file from it to my Mac laptop (which does support gigabit ethernet and 802.11n) at the other end, the transfer speed is not any faster than with my old 802.11g/100Mbps router. With a wired connection, I get 10-12MB/s and with a wireless connection I get 2.5-3MB/s.

Any ideas why it isn't any faster?

yeah im have some similar issues would love to hear a response

10-12MB/s is pretty pathetic for wired GigE and points to some other problems.

Do you have any 802.11g devices on the network as well? Are you using the 5GHz band at all, or is everything on 2.4? Have you tried changing channels?

What version of Mac OS X are you running. My macbook running 10.6 has never pulled more then 50MB /sec on my home network which is all gigabit. When I boot it into Windows 7 it averages around 100MB/sec which is about what my PC desktops and servers all get when they transfer to each other. My guess is that there is some QoS feature in OS X to throttle file transfers so that iChat or surfing the web isn't disrupted.

Back