Slow gigabit network transfers / ultilization

mr_zen256

2[H]4U
So I just bought a gigabit switch and a gigabit file server for work and I am having incredible difficulty getting it to run at it's full potential. Here is my current set up:

4 x PCs connceted to a gigabit 16 port netgear unmanaged switch (Only 3 of these PCs have gigabit network adapters)
1 x 10/100mb ADSL modem router connected to swtich
3 x Printers / MFC connected to the switch
1 x Synology DS-209j being used as a file server connected to the switch

So, the issue is that the file transfer speeds between the file server or PC's connected with the gigabit network adapters are only getting a network utilization of about %12.5 or 10mbps.

The network connections display connected as "1.0 gbps" but am still getting 100mb transfer speeds.

Since the modem only has 10/100mb and is currently being used as a DHCP server, is all the network traffic being filtered through the router and creating a bottleneck?

The DHCP settings for the modem are set to auto. If I disable DHCP on the router and manually set up static IPs on each device, will that solve the slow network speed or is this problem not related to the modem?

Arrghh! I need to do more research on products before I buy them!!

I bought the Synology DS-209j to use as a file server expecting I would get excellent transfer rates. The unit is advertised as a gigabit capable device (which I generally associate with fast transfer speeds) only to find out it's tranfer rate for upload is only 11.46 MBps and download rate 27.75 MBps.

I figured something was amiss when I transferred some large files from another PC and was getting tranfer rates of about 30 MBps.

Doing a bit more digging on the Synology website I found a "performance" tab which shows the units true colors.

http://www.synology.com/enu/products/DS209j/perf.php

(DS-209j is the blue bar)

So I have bit the bullet and am now upgrading to the DS-209.

Never used their stuff before. Why are you sticking so steadfastly to this brand?

They came highly recommended to me by a friend and at first inspection came with a really good feature set.

If you have any suggestions for an alternative NAS for use as a file server with excellent ethernet transfer speeds I'd like to hear them :)

Initially I was going to build my own file server but time constraints being a factor I decided to try out a NAS solution.

Back