Slot Options?

extide

2[H]4U
So, what are the recommended slot options to run in the v7 clients?
I generally run the following, should I be doing something else?

client-type = advanced
max-packet-size = big

Is there a list of all these slot options somewhere with all of the valid options and values? That would be handy.

Thanks!

Here ya go... at least a partial list of options for v7. I think I saw another page of them somewhere... I'll have to look deeper on the interwebs to find it once I get home from work.

https://fah-web.stanford.edu/projects/FAHClient/wiki/ClientDifferencesV6ToV7

The problem with that list is that some of the options listed are slot options, some are global options... it doesn't really differentiate which is which.

EDIT: Just another note, I'm not sure the "max-packet-size=big" is entirely necessary for any work units other than bigadv.... however, I'm not 100% certain of this either.

EDIT 2: I actually sat down and read that options listing page again and below the master list, noticed the line "Most options can be set either Globally or Locally (within a single slot)" so I guess that addresses that concern I had about which were which.

Last edited:
That is very handy. How about some [H]orde team suggestions? Do we have a suggested way of running our clients?

I'd agree with advanced, however the size is more personal preference based on your internet connection and usage cap, with the exception of BA of course. This may vary over time, but is the current state of play. Size is slightly more interesting if you are on the beta team but even then not so much.

OK, so should client-type Advanced be set for SMP or GPU slots or both?
have 3770k stock at 3.5 ghz..

The GPUs are 2 gtx 660s and 1 gtx 660ti

I assume once these flags are changed they will take affect at the next WU download... or do i need to do something manually?

client 7.2.9 GUI
Windows 8

Last edited:
You should set your GPUs up with the advanced flag at least, in order for them to get the latest and greatest units that were just released.

As for SMP, I've personally been running my SMP boxen without any flags set.

Once you set the flags, they usually take effect for the next unit, generally no interaction is required.

Back