Slipstreaming service pack 1 on a Vista CD

Lyquist

2[H]4U
Is it possible to slipstream service pack 1 on a Vista DVD??? I have a computer I am trying to get service pack 1 on and every other method has failed. Thanks in advance.

I've heard it's possible, but you have to do a ton of work with the existing method. Might be worth it to buy a replacement or borrow someones Vista SP1 DVD. Any 32bit DVD will work with any 32bit key, and any 64bit DVD will work with any 64bit key.

I've heard it's possible, but you have to do a ton of work with the existing method. Might be worth it to buy a replacement or borrow someones Vista SP1 DVD. Any 32bit DVD will work with any 32bit key, and any 64bit DVD will work with any 64bit key.

There are no such things as 32 bit keys and 64 bit keys: each legitimate Vista key is good for either the 32 bit or the 64 bit edition they're tied with. So if you buy Vista Home Premium 32 bit edition, you can order the 64 bit installation DVD from Microsoft for ~$10 shipping costs and when you get that DVD, you can use the same key - the one that came with the 32 bit package - and it installs just fine.

Keys are tied to editions (Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate) and not versions (32 bit or 64 bit) - they work for both versions.

At this point in time, the only solution to make your own slipstreamed Vista SP1 installation DVD is using vLite. Get more info at http://www.vlite.net

Good luck...

That is true except for the Vista Ultimate 32bit copies that are sold in campus stores (they are not MSDN or retail copies). But what I meant to say was, get a 64bit DVD if you want to install 64bit. :p

I've used vlite and it works like a champ. It's pretty easy too and you end up with a complete "non-vlited" SP1 disk. I've made several and they've all worked.

I am unable to get the vlite method to work. Is there anywhere I can download an iso of Windows Vista 32 bit with service pack 1 already intergrated? I cannot afford a technet subsription. I already have a legal serial number for Vista Home Premium, I just simply need a link to download the iso. Thanks.

you can download an iso with sp1 from msdn if you have a paid subscription

I don't have the paid subscription. I think I may of found a way to actually get vlite to work. The version 1.2 final wouldn't work on my machine, but the 1.2 rc does work.

I just built a new system last week, and bought vista home premium for it. I found that it was just too alien for me, moving from XP. I hated it.

I read about the slipstreaming of sp1 using vlite here, and decided to give it a try.

I cannot believe how well it works. I am basicly a lamer and cannot even overclock without BSOD's but following the vlite forum's simple instructions, I was able to build an ISO of Vista Home Premium, SP1, MOBO drivers, and just the functions I want. The build was only 900MB and installed in 10 minutes, all drivers functioning, and now I love Vista. It's just like XP, which is what I should have bought anyways.

I left out the Aero interface, that stupid multiple confirmation thing, the DRM/media player stuff, and their defrag utility, and installed freeware replacements from download.com, and vista just screams!

As far as making a slipstream dvd, it is so easy, just a few questions, two .dll files to download, the vista disc, the sp1 disc, and about an hour to compile an image, and then it burns a bootable slipstream disc for you.

]I am basicly a lamer[/B]

and just the functions I want. The build was only 900MB and installed in 10 minutes, all drivers functioning, and now I love Vista. It's just like XP, which is what I should have bought anyways.

I left out the Aero interface, that stupid multiple confirmation thing, the DRM/media player stuff, and their defrag utility, and installed freeware replacements from download.com, and vista just screams!

:rolleyes:

Its still funny how people leave out Aero thinking its a downside to Vista... Ignorance is bliss...

And may I ask why people are so bothered about slipstreaming in service packs to install disks? Your going to have to run Windows Update once the new machine is up and running anyway, so just include the SP in the update.. Not to difficult. And a hell of alot eaiser then having to make a vLite DVD. I know, I've done it. (for my AAO)

Some just to see if they can do it, but I'd say most of them do it for simple convenience.

And may I ask why people are so bothered about slipstreaming in service packs to install disks? Your going to have to run Windows Update once the new machine is up and running anyway, so just include the SP in the update.. Not to difficult. And a hell of alot eaiser then having to make a vLite DVD. I know, I've done it. (for my AAO)

It took quite a while to load vista, install the drivers, tweek one with a video card overclock/tweek utility to get the 1440 x 900 resolution I needed to be supported, and install the service pack. Probably 2-3 hours.

Making the vlite DVD was easy, even though there was a lot of waiting time, but installing Vista with the vlite made disk was just about hands off and only a few minutes. Granted I know nothing about Vista, as it was not available when I last built a system, but for the day that I had it installed, I felt it was much slower than XP, videos played with some kind of jerky lost frame thing, downloads were slower, and it just did not live up to expectations.

I probably could have found different tweeks to speed it up, but try searching vista tweeks, and you get the same list of 10 tweeks, posted on dozends of web pages. None of those really speed things up much. During my searches somehow this topic came up, and I followed QHalo's link, and gave the vlite site a lookover, and after reading their forums, it sounded interesting.

As far as the Lamer thing, even king $#!t of turd island back in the day, eventually rolls downhill. I spend more time actually using the computer, than building and tweeking them now...as will most of you will, when you finally get tired of fixing all your friends and family's, and their friends computers. It eats all your free time and is fun at first, but wait till you have done it for 10-20 years, and going lamer is not such a bad thing.

Bottom line about the vlite, love it or hate it, if you want to make a service pack slipstream disc, include hardware specific drivers, and be up and running fast, it works.

Thanks to QHalo for posting the link. :cool:

Back