SLEEVING: How do you remove the ATX power connector?

Hrm -- less than helpful help but -- there are some pictures available online -- google for them. It's not fun, and if you reconnect one in the wrong spot, you uh. . . catostrophic failure.

Not like google is turning up anything on this topic.. if you don't know, don't shit in the thread...

i did all my molex connectors by taking the pins out then when i got to the atx connector i ended up cutting all the wires because i wanted it shorter and i put in a new connector after i sleeved it

there's gotta be a way to do it without cutting the wires though..

ummm when i did mine i drew out a little map of all of the wires on the connector...

that only shows how to do the 4 pin molex connectors.. NOT the 20 pin Main ATX connector...

Hmm, I'd have to cut one open myself to answer that one. I can't imagine it's that different from the molex power ones, so the process should be similar... Let me see if I can find something with pics.

you have to use 2 needles
if you look at the side of the connector you can see the "clips" that hold in the wire if you screw around with it for awhile you can figure it out

u dont need two needles...i use a small flat head eyeglass screwdriver...

to be honest with you, I really don't see much of anything in the pins for the 20 pin connector.. guess I'll need shove something in there, and look around

this first picture is of the tabs noted by the red circles there is one on the opposite of the the visble one
PDRM0097.JPG

this picture is of the needle placed in postion you need to do this to the other side aswell once you get the needles in place wiggle the wire and pull a little it will come out it will take some practice
PDRM0100.JPG

finally the finished product
PDRM0098.JPG

so, you have to put 2 needles in there at the same time, to pull it out?

Ok let me help you out a bit

here is a pic of the wire inside the connecter
http://www.action2k.com/grc/minifit2.gif

you can see the wings on the sides. You need to depress those in order to get the connector out. As some have stated needles work, just slip those in the sides from the front of the connecter (IE were the motherboard header plugs into) and you should be able to slide the wire right out.

here is an extracting tool, pretty much a tweezers.
http://www.action2k.com/grc/mo110300.jpg

Otherwise cutting and replacing the connectors is another option. I can do it in 5 min with the right crimper and a quality wire stripper.

it works for me using firebird, when I tried with IE it doesn't.

So copy paste and should work.

I'll have to hunt down a pair of tweezers like that.. pretty sure I have some like that.. thanks

Originally posted by blindviper
hes not asking how to remove molex connectors

Hmmm.....did you read the title?

The atx power connector is a MOLEX CONNECTOR! How do I know this? Well at work I make wiring harnesses, which use MOLEX connectors!

as Chris Berman has said " There aren't any stupid questions, only stupid people"

sorry if thats cruel, but wow

That tool is not for a 20pin atx connector but for the 4 pin power connectors, the 20pin ones are square shaped, and anyone who buys that is dumb, 15 bux? Radioshack has them for 6.99

Originally posted by Paully's5.0
Hmmm.....did you read the title?

The atx power connector is a MOLEX CONNECTOR! How do I know this? Well at work I make wiring harnesses, which use MOLEX connectors!

as Chris Berman has said " There aren't any stupid questions, only stupid people"

sorry if thats cruel, but wow

I meant the 4 pin :)

Originally posted by Aknosis
That tool is not for a 20pin atx connector but for the 4 pin power connectors, the 20pin ones are square shaped, and anyone who buys that is dumb, 15 bux? Radioshack has them for 6.99

frozencpu puts those on sale fro 5 bucks like every other week.. you just have to get it at the right time.. it's a good tool, have one myself... but I will admit that when the molex connector has 2 wires comming out of it, it's a little bit harder to get it out..

I've been taking those damn Molex mini-fit jr. connectors apart for quite a few years. I have had the factory $23.50 pair of flattened tweezers and after a while they will break. I ended up using some flat brass sheet from a hobby shop. It comes in 1 inch wide strips by about a foot long, brand name of K&S. Get the thinnest thickness they have. I have even cut up old steel feeler gages too(.012). I then take my trusty sharp tin snips and cut two strips about a millimeter wide. They will curl and warp just straighten them out and clean up the burrs with sand paper or a fine file. The strips have to fit between the housing and the female connector. I use a small pair of needle nose pliers to carefully push each strip into one of the contacts. Practice on the end contacts so you can see how far you need to go into the connector. When the strips bottom out carefully wiggle the selected wire and the connector should pull free. By all means make sure you map the colors of the wire to the connector position ! Itz real crude but works well.;)

Originally posted by Phoenix86
-er I wasn't trying to be a smart ass. I copied the title and pasted into google, and found the answer in the second link. It wasn't hard, and I answer LOTS of peoples questions by simply entering THEIR topic title into google.

Here is the link.
http://www.virtual-hideout.net/guides/cable_sleeving/index.shtml

Not sure why the goolge one didn't work, sorry.

that doesnt show how to do the ATX connector

Originally posted by blindviper
this first picture is of the tabs noted by the red circles there is one on the opposite of the the visble one
PDRM0097.JPG

this picture is of the needle placed in postion you need to do this to the other side aswell once you get the needles in place wiggle the wire and pull a little it will come out it will take some practice
PDRM0100.JPG

finally the finished product
PDRM0098.JPG

is that a regular needle? and btw nice nails D:!

Originally posted by Aknosis

I got it from frozencpu when they were $5 and I tried calling my local radioshack, they dont sell them here :-/

I couldn't get 2 needles in there at the same time.. I'll have to find something more flat....

frayed the shit out of that end, but got it done it looks like, thanks for the info. When I get another kit I'll try it.

if you want to seeve it you might as well shorten it to the perfect length........

PS15.jpg

PS19.jpg

if you want the full write up see HERE - it was about WC PSU but I go over shortening and seeving the mains as part of the job....

I think the point is not to sleeve the main cable, as much as it is to just replace the connector with a different color one without cutting the length

Back