Simple cabinet

Transition

Limp Gawd
Here's a simple cabinet i setup at a branch of ours.

oakdale_network.jpg

Quite simple - and if i did it again i wouldn't use the same cabinet! Anyway, just a 24p switch / patch, power backup, Cisco 1722 router, a couple POE's and that's about it. I don't do networking for a living, but was fairly happy w/ the clean setup

Nice setup.

Question: What makes a Cisco router so much better than, say, a Linksys one?

flexibility, security, interopability. The 17xx series havesdm available which is a web gui interface which is pretty cool if you havnt had much exp with the IOS.

that looks identical to some work we did for NY&CO a few months back.

To be honest i don't remember who makes the case. All i remember is i ordered it from a smaller company in Texas. I'm looking at using a 10u Black Box cabinet for my next scheduled re-organization.

we do work for black box all the time, anything made by them except maybe their gigabase cable is pretty damn good.

Kaos said:
we do work for black box all the time, anything made by them except maybe their gigabase cable is pretty damn good.

One of their larger offices is actually less then 2 blocks from my office. ;)

very nice organization job! What is the small blue linksys box?

Lugztaz said:
very nice organization job! What is the small blue linksys box?

When we first starting intalling access points in our warehouses we had someon do the initial intall for us. Instead of running all the access points into the main switch, they ran a secondary dedicated switch just for the AP's then routed that into the main switch. Probably completely un-necessary but i've been doing our wireless installs the same way.

Transition said:
When we first starting intalling access points in our warehouses we had someon do the initial intall for us. Instead of running all the access points into the main switch, they ran a secondary dedicated switch just for the AP's then routed that into the main switch. Probably completely un-necessary but i've been doing our wireless installs the same way.

Ah :cool: Makes since

Transition said:
One of their larger offices is actually less then 2 blocks from my office. ;)

theres one on the north side of pittsburgh...about 20 minutes from my place. Convenient if you need materials fast.

Kaos said:
theres one on the north side of pittsburgh...about 20 minutes from my place. Convenient if you need materials fast.

Yea i don't know if the one by me is production or just an administrative building. They just got the building less then 4 months ago. I belive Black Box acquired a company called Nortel.

Nice and clean, good work. Now replace the Linksys junk with something better and It'd be perfect.

Transition said:
Yea i don't know if the one by me is production or just an administrative building. They just got the building less then 4 months ago. I belive Black Box acquired a company called Nortel.

no no no no no no no

they may do work for nortel, but in terms of buying power nortel cold steamroll blackbox in a heartbeat. Nortel makes commercial grade phone systems and network appliances (routers, switches, some of the best wireless you could ever want.) nortel's been around since the invention of the vacuum tube since CMIIW they invented it. They are probably just an authorized nortel vendor, much like the company i work for.

any chance you could break down the model numbers of all the gear in that cabinet?

cisco 16 port switch
cisco 17xx model router
cisco 5 port mini switch
some sort of power conditioner or ups
and two poe power injectors

that was just me guessing though

Pixeleet said:
any chance you could break down the model numbers of all the gear in that cabinet?

Cisco 1711 Router
Linksys 24-Port Switch (EF3124)
Linksys 5-Port Hub (EFAH05W)
2 Symbol POE Units for Symbol 3021 Access Points (AP-PSBIAS-T)
Tripp Lite Smart 500VA Rack/Tower UPS (SMART500RT1U)

edit: not sure what type of patch panel i used. Something generic, and cheap i can assure you though.

I try to stay on top of all the mergers and such in the industry. It's not easy but I get a lot of magazines :)
PS. I like chocolate chip cookies...

jeff, you see the powerplay leatherman tool from fluke? i think youd be interested, mine's on order.

yeah I have seen it, I think it's neat. I might save up and buy one. My Leatherman Fuse is great though.

jeffmoss26 said:
The company they bought is Norstan.

are you really 15 years old and as smart as you are? i read through a link that you are capable of all sorts of network consulting and are looking for a job in another post in that basement house network post.

impressive.

Well yes to everything except that I'm 18 :)
I do computer repair/networking/cabling work for people. Im going to study Computer Network Administration at the University of Toledo next year.
Jeff

Back