"Silence" the Fan

Ok, I have an SLK-800 with a Panaflo on top. I recently picked up some of those fan silencers (the rubber wraps that go around the fan). I decided to put on the bottom of the fan where it touches the heatsink. It did quiet it down somewhat. Anybody think this isn't safe? I wonder if the stuff would melt. I can touch the heatsink, it doesn't feel too hot.

Anybody else try something similar.

It should be safe. I attatch my fans by cuttting yout a piece of this soft foam padding stuff, 5mm thick, in the size of the fan. Then I punch a hole in the middle for the air, superglue the foam to the fan, and then superglue the other side of the foam to the case/heatsink. Works fine, and it's quiet as hell. As an added bonus it makes an airtight seal.

I've got my Proc heatsink fitted with a 92mm papst fan using this system, and it works. To be sure, I heated the foam to 80 °c, no prblems.

i wouldn't even bother with that stuff. i would just drop the extra cash and buy a silent boost.

Originally posted by Valkerie
i wouldn't even bother with that stuff. i would just drop the extra cash and buy a silent boost.
silent boost has a panaflo fan, and alas it is not a whole lot quieter. It is a little bit, but not worth $25 most likely.

it is a decent heatsink and fan... i like them that is my opinion my friend has one and it is alot quieter than my computer(x blower and volcano 9)

i just found some info on it, looks liek th exact setup i have, slk-800 with a panaflo on top, though the booster has a unique casing on the fan. My set up is real quiet, and i get good temps on my 2800 barton...around 35c idle. I just wanted to make sure it was ok to boot that silcon rubber stuff there...

Originally posted by badasspenguin
i just found some info on it, looks liek th exact setup i have, slk-800 with a panaflo on top, though the booster has a unique casing on the fan. My set up is real quiet, and i get good temps on my 2800 barton...around 35c idle. I just wanted to make sure it was ok to boot that silcon rubber stuff there...

If you pull the shroud off the HSF is REALLY looks like a slk800

Back