Sidewinder X6 + Sidewinder X5/X8 combo any good?

Raudulfr

2[H]4U
I'll have a bit of disposable income soon and I thought maybe it was time to put my trusty 5 year old MX510 to rest and buy a new one. Never had a high-end keyboard too so might as well buy one now! (And the Sidewinders match :D)

Current setup:
Logitech MX510
Logitech Access Keyboard 600

Planned setup:
Microsoft Sidewinder X6 (only decent illuminated KB I know of that has a proper Enter key)
Microsoft Sidewinder (original)/X5/X8 (still can't decide which one, X5 seems low-end and the X8 is expensive and some people complain about the scroll wheel)

Tales of discomfort about the Sidewinder mouse scare me though... and tales of the X8 not working with cloth mousepads?
I also thought about the Ikari Laser, being hailed as very comfortable and all.

Last edited:
Oh WHAT? They updated the X6? Mine has the single space Enter key, perhaps what you're looking at is a Canadian version (they tend to have whacked out keyboards). But after taking a look at MS, Newegg Futureshop (Canada's Bestbuy, even though they also have a BB but FS is owned by BB.. whatever), all of them have the single space enter. I've tried the Sidewinder mouses in store and did not like them one bit - build feels cheap and the buttons that protrude out did not feel right; I prefer Logi's rounded edges that doesn't feel like the mice is trying to go to war with you.

Oh WHAT? They updated the X6? Mine has the single space Enter key, perhaps what you're looking at is a Canadian version (they tend to have whacked out keyboards). But after taking a look at MS, Newegg Futureshop (Canada's Bestbuy, even though they also have a BB but FS is owned by BB.. whatever), all of them have the single space enter. I've tried the Sidewinder mouses in store and did not like them one bit - build feels cheap and the buttons that protrude out did not feel right; I prefer Logi's rounded edges that doesn't feel like the mice is trying to go to war with you.

Eh eh, no, that's the UK layout ;)

And what Sidewinder did you try? The original, the X5 or the X8? I'm thinking it was the X5, it's just a cheap version of the original with plastic side buttons instead of metal, etc.

I have both the Ikari Laser and the original MS sidewinder... I would go with that you can get it for dirt cheap and it´s the best version in the Sidewinder series. Especially since it´s the largest. Comfort is brilliant for us with large hands though it could have been bigger still... We are kind of discriminated otherwise if we want to use anything else then claw grip. I do generally use claw grip also with this but there is at least a chance to rest your hand on it as well which increases comfort.

As for performance the Ikari Laser is super light and glides like a dream. Quality is sacrificed for light weight though and no it´s not really ergonomic for my hands... None of the buttons is where they should be. Got finger strain with it so hard to recommend it.

For the sidewinder I would certainly find some mat with as good glide as possible. It´s relatively heavy since it´s so well built and there is quite some friction on my Exactmat.

I do have the Deathadder and a Razer Copperhead as well overall I do preferr the Sidewinder. Copperhead second ahead of the Deathadder actually. Ikari laser last despite it´s great sensor and all. But this is very personal it´s pretty much useless reading reviews on mouses and ergonomics or performance. It´s extremely well built and the complaints about clicky buttons or something is not there on my Sidewinder. Neither was it on the well used one I tried before.

Thank you for your input. I'm still befuddled with all the choices available. I've had the same mouse for the last 5 1/2 years, I don't want to buy a shiny new one that'll break in like 6 months.

Thank you for your input. I'm still befuddled with all the choices available. I've had the same mouse for the last 5 1/2 years, I don't want to buy a shiny new one that'll break in like 6 months.

a couple months ago I replace my trusty old G5, that had an unfortunate drop, with the X8, and I love it, it's a wonderful mouse, large and confortable, and works quite fine

a couple months ago I replace my trusty old G5, that had an unfortunate drop, with the X8, and I love it, it's a wonderful mouse, large and confortable, and works quite fine

But I have a cloth mouse pad and they don't seem to work so well with cloth mouse pads.

I have the x6 keyboard and the X8 mouse, mouse works just fine on my old cloth mouse pad. I love the keyboard never have had any problems with it, don't think I could live without the dial for the volume control now. The mouse works perfectly, but I still like the shape of my old MX700 better. The X8s tracking is much better, and the recharging system is excellent, so I wouldn't go back to the Mx700. I'm waiting for logitech to come out with cordless that takes AA batteries and has the newer tracking system, and the old shape of the MX series.Then I'll buy that. Until then my current setup works just fine, my only gripe is the surface of the X8 feels more slippery and doesn't fit my hand as well as I'd like.

I got to try the X5 some today. It certainly felt a bit lighter but the choose of material didn´t impress much on the other hand. Though that doesn´t say that much always of course. The best is to have a mouse that holds up but it also nice to have mouses that feels like they will hold up.

Razer mouse is proven indestructable for me. I have dropped my copperhead so many times it´s silly never a scratch or anything. My Sidewinder I only dropped once so far ;). I have a LFE and sometimes I forget to secure it ;)

Thanks for all the input. It's all going to cost a pretty penny and I want to get it right the first time :)

Back