Shuttle and x800 cooling

vage

2[H]4U
Joined
Jan 10, 2005
Messages
3,038
I have an sk83g and an x800 xt. When I close the lid the fan is pretty much right up against the wall almost, I mean there is a fraction of space in there and it makes the heat on my card jump up almost 10 degrees. I was going to get one of those arctic cooler things but it will not fit inside of my case. Does anyone here know of a good way to keep my card cool without modding my case and cutting a hole in the isde?
 
1) Buy the mesh case. Its black...dunno what color your shuttle is but I hope it will go with it lol

2) You can replace the thermal paste on the core and that should bring down the temps a bit.

3) Cut a hole

4) Leave your case off till you figure out what to do...

Other than those...i dunno what to tell you.
 
I say get the cover with that mesh side, or make one yourself....You could cut a blowhole right over the fan....
 
A blowhole right over the graphics card's fan seems like the best bet. Short of that, which you don't want to do... I dunno what to tell you. Airflow in those tiny things is a bitch.
 
Yeah. I'd say the hole as I can't find anyone with the mesh cover in stock. You can make it look nice with a grill over it too. ahaha
 
I ran into a similar problem w/ my recording sff machine awhile back and the best solution I found without hacking up the case was to buy the mesh side panels and then get a hand nibbler and cut out the rear fan grill. Doing those 2 things dropped my load temps by a lot and my idle temps by a good 8 degrees.
 
Is it actually overheating, or just running uncomfortably warm? My x800 runs hot, but I even get away with a little overclocking before is starts showing any problems.

I'm still planning on modding it and cutting a blow hole for the vid card... Maybe a couple in the top too.

-dB
 
Back
Top